Photo Voltaic Panels

EaglesInFloridaNovember 5, 2004

I am in the process of building a house. Has anyone used Photo Voltaic Panels? What has your experience been? Who did you purchase them from? I live in Tampa Florida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chef_lisa

My home has 28 Sharp 185 PV panels on the roof. This system has provided 95% of my electricity for the past 12 month period. My electrical bill for the entire year was less than $100. The system is connected to my local utility grid and does not have batteries (grid-tie system). When the power goes out, I lose power also. Grid-tie systems are more efficient at harvesting the maximum power from the available sunshine than are most battery systems and batteries add significantly to system cost.

I love my solar power system which provides, clean, silent, and economical power. The system will be paid for in about 7 years and after that the power will be "free". The money spent on a PV system is less than a car and less than remodeling a kitchen, and the system pays for itself and doesn't depreciate in value as any car or remodeling project does.

I live in the San Jose area and we have abundant sunshine most of the year. We also live in a climate that is moderate enough that I don't need air conditioning at my home. Air conditioning takes lots of electical power and in Florida you must run quite a bit of air conditioning in the summer. That may make solar power a less economical choice for you.

I took a class on PV Design and Installation offered by Solar Energy International and highly recommend them as a source of information and training.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solar Energy International

Bookmark   November 14, 2004 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™