HD DVD Worth It?

chisueNovember 25, 2006

Before the DirecTV installer comes to upgrade our five-year-old system for HDTV, should I buy a HD DVD player? What is recommended? What is a good price?

The DirecTV package includes new dish, box and "TiVo-like" DVD recorder/player, but that will only play what it has recorded. DH and I frequently rent DVDs from Blockbuster or our library.

Also, would we need to replace our five-year-old Yamaha receiver? (AV receiver HTR 5460 CinemaDSP digital) It's part of our surround sound system.

Our monitor is Sony XBR WEGA. It's "HD Ready". (KV-36XBR450)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Neighbor has an LCD projector, several years old, in a home theater room. I don't know what size is his screen, but it's larger than any big-screen TV. He got an HD player couple months ago, I think Toshiba? I'm not intimately familiar with the two formats at war, but I don't think it's a Blue-Ray. Anyway, I *CAN* see an appreciable difference on his screen with his projector. However, we brought the player to try on my 42" Panasonic HD plasma that's about 4 years old, and I *don't* see a difference there. We watched Van Helsing, which admittedly has a lot of dark scenes, but if there is any difference it's not enough in *my* case to justify the expense of a format change, not based on *that* particular title.

Which bears out what what the neighbor said and what I've observed ... that the improvement isn't much seen except on a 50" screen or larger.

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 3:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chisue

Thanks, dadoes! I'd forgotten about the DVD "wars" over Blu-Ray and the other mode of DVD player. I think we'll stick with our plain vanilla player until the dust settles. Maybe it will never be worth replacing the current player if our 36" tube monitor won't reflect any difference. Thanks for that information; I'll look into it further.

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
Kennel-Gear HD Ultra Supply Caddy with Handle Large Table Mount - 7780
$90.95 | Hayneedle
LBL Icicle Clear Glass Nickel Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Telstar Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$468.00 | Lumens
Abbyson Living Brentwood Brown Leather Chair and Sofa Set - CI-1307-BRN-3/1
Hayneedle
Bayou Classic Cast Iron 2.75-gal Jambalaya Pot
Overstock.com