Stereo to TV connection

haus_proudNovember 12, 2010

We are planning to get a large flat panel tv, and we wonder if it makes sense to connect our stereo audio to the tv. Our stereo is a 30 year old Bang & Olufsen. Although sound systems are greatly improved in the last few decades, we still thought using our old system would give us better sound than what the tv comes with.

Comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Well, there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't connect it to the audio output of the television.

As long as it is still functioning properly: no noisy or scratchy controls, no static, pops, or hum in the audio, insulation is okay on the power cord and you are happy with it... why not? You may need to relocate your speakers so they are equally to the right/left of the screen, and run an RCA stereo audio cable between the display and audio system, but that's about it.

Now if you decide at some point you want to have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound from your DVD or Blu-ray player, then you will need to layout, purchase, and install a new system. But in the meantime you haven't lost anything.

Realistically, 30 years can be pushing it as far as the life of some of the electronic components used on the circuit boards inside the equipment, but B&O (especially 30 years ago) almost always spec'd premium grade components. So, there may not be too much concern there. Just do what feels right to you and not what somebody tells you "need."

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 6:53PM
tigerbangs

The B&O equipment will easily last 30 years, as it's extremely well made stuff, however, you will definitely need DIN to RCA connectors in order to use with your TV set. Determine how much cable length between the TV set and the stereo that you need and look for a 5 pin male DIN to 2 RCA male cable.

be sure that your TV set has audio output jacks on the jack panel in the back, and you will probably have to go into the TV's audio menu and select output to those jacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 pin male DIN connector to 2 male RCA connector

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:04AM
joed

As long as the TV has an audio output. I bought an LG TV and was very surpised to find when I got it home NO Audio output. I should have checked closer before I bought it, but I was more concerned about how many inputs it had.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™