Inexpensive Margaritas for a crowd???

HeidiHoHumJanuary 27, 2003

I posted this in the Beverages forum but thought I'd try here too!

Help!! Somehow I opened my mouth and am now having a Tex-Mex/ Margarita party for about 50 people. Does anyone have info on making enough margaritas for that big of a crowd without running out? I am a misplaced Texan in Australia for a couple years and I have not been able to find ANY mixes ANYWHERE...not even margarita salt! Haven't been able to locate a big frozen machine to rent either, but am still hunting. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fireraven9

There is no way to make a really inexpensive Margarita. You have to use decent tequila in it or it will be vile tasting. See link below.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water. -Â Â Loren Eisley

Here is a link that might be useful: DigsMagazine.com : drink recipe: Margarita

Bookmark   January 29, 2003 at 8:53PM
Fireraven9

A real margarita is not necessarily frozen and any salt can be used ... go here - http://www.flash.net/~whaugen/margarita.htm or here http://cocktails.about.com/library/recipes/blmarguarita.htm - for a simple recipe. Go to link below for the frozen type.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water. -Â Â Loren Eisley

Here is a link that might be useful: good recipe

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 1:26PM
ReneeKY

Lee - I've used the limeade recipe, and it works well. Lost my copy in a program crash, so thanks for posting it.

Margaritas dno't even have to be lime anymore, although the purist in me balks at that. Chevy's a chain restaurant in the western US, has made a niche for itself by offering all flavors of "margaritas" They usually make them with too much alcohol and not enough fruit, but the blood orange ones were surprisingly good.

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 7:41PM
Fireraven9

About 25 years ago there was a place called the Chelsea Street Pub down in Albuquerque. They had margaritas in every color and flavor and it was best to share one. The bright blue (Blue Curaco) ones used to amaze me. Not sure the place is still open, but I remember it (with it's quaint "pub" decor) fondly.

Another favorite (I first had it in Tucson) is Mexican Coffee. Take a cup of hot strong coffee (no cheapo coffee), add a half shot of tequila, a shot of Kahlua and top with heavy whipped cream. The coffee makes it get to you faster. NOT a wake up drink. It is like dessert in a cup.

Lee AKA Fireraven9

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 9:11PM
ReneeKY

Mexican coffee...oh yes. Good stuff. Someone else can have my whipped cream though...just a splash of real unwhipped cream. (A texture thing).

Bookmark   January 31, 2003 at 6:02PM
Fireraven9

We use "Mexican" cream (available in all local groceries) instead of whipped. It is as thick as sour cream, but creamy sweet tasting. The recipe calls for fluffy whipped and I am sure that restaurants find it less costly.

Lee AKA Fireraven9

Bookmark   January 31, 2003 at 10:58PM
HeidiHoHum

OOOOOHHHHH---y'all are making my mouth water just thinking of all these margaritas out there and poor me can't enjoy one in a restaurant here in Australia because they don't know how to make a decent one.

Thanks for all the input. I love browsing the sites and reading the suggestions. I do believe I will have to do quite a bit of 'taste-testing' to see which recipe is the best. It will be a difficult job, but I am willing to take on the responsibility :)

Heidi

Bookmark   February 1, 2003 at 1:53AM
ReneeKY

Lee - sounds good, but trust me when I say that it's not in local groceries here. :) Mexican food here is Taco Bell.
I've started making my own tortillas because the ones that I can find here are just awful, so finding Mexican style diary is a long way off for us. sigh.

Heidi - you're tough, you can do it. We have faith. LOL!

Bookmark   February 5, 2003 at 5:20PM
ginger_st_thomas

Check out the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Margaritas for a crowd

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™