Transformer amperage question for a guru

windslamOctober 28, 2009

Can anyone give an idea on how to determine what the maximum amperage the secondary winding of a step down transformer would be, without over heating it?

The primary winding is (120vac) 126.7 ohms. The secondary winding (12vac) is 5.7 ohms. Any idea how many amps can be loaded on the transformer without causing it to heat excessively?

Here's what I'm up to....I have several strings of 5 halogen light the previous owner installed under the cabinets in the kitchen. 2 of the transformers burned out (open windings). Each string of lights draws 5 amps at 12vac. The cost to replace the transformers is just about the same as to replace the lights. I have a couple of salvaged transformers from other electronic equipment with 12vac outputs. Of course, there are no nomenclatures stamped on those to indicatemax. amps output. I'd like to use one of them to run 2 or 3 sets of the lights which will be 10-15 amps 12vac. I plan to put 5 amp fuses on each lead of each string of 5 lights. Again, each string contains 5 10 watt halogen bulbs.

Thanks in advance to any guru's who can show me the math to figure maximum amp capability on the secondary winding.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
regus_patoff

I don't think you could determine wattage from the info posted.

A better determination may be by physical size and weight, compared to a known similar transformer, such as one from RadioShack, but their 12v max is 3A. ($11)

There's a nice Halogen switching transformer on ebay

BuyItNow more than 10 available

120v input 12v 75w $13 shipped from USA 270458210358

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 10:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windslam

regus.....I'm seeing that you are right. I posted the question also on the electrical wiring thread and the responses pretty much reinforced that. Thanks for taking the time to answer!!!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™