Winter Sledding Party

nbrooksJanuary 4, 2008

Hi - I have one quick question - have you ever put hot and/or warm water in a Coleman/Rubbermaid water cooler (like the ones used at sporting events and camping trips)? We are hosting a sledding party tomorrow night and I want to have hot water available for cocoa. I was going to use my Rubbermaid water cooler, but then realized it may not be suitable for hot beverages. If I can't use it, what should I do? I'm planning on using my crockpot for the hot cider. Thoughts? Suggestions? Many, many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have a 2 gallon Coleman thermos that I have used for coffee and or hot chocolaye...and I have 2 of those pump pots for coffee that work for hot chocolate.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 3:58PM
nbrooks

Thanks, Linda! It gives me peace of mind to know that I won't be wrecking our much-loved and much-used cooler for hot cocoa!
Nancy

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 4:03PM
khandi

We used to do the same when daughter was little. I made the hot chocolate in advance and kept it in a huge pot, then we just had to use a soup ladle to fill the cups. The huge pot of cocoa was on the stove on simmer. When the kids were ready for their cocoa, DH brought it outside. We also used to have a little bonfire for the kids to warm up beside, and they would roast weiners for hot dogs. They loved it!

You could always have another crockpot filled with hot chocolate. I would definitely have it mixed and ready to serve, instead of having just hot water handy. Much easier!

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 4:04PM
nbrooks

Well, the sledding party Saturday night was a huge success! We had over 65 people and I don't think it could have gone any better! The weather was mild with no wind and the two firepits and hot cider and cocoa (plus Schnapps and spiced rum for the grownups) kept everyone warm. The luminaries lining the paths and mini lights on the arbor leading to the backyard lent a festive glow. I think this will become an annual event - we received so much postive feedback! Thanks again for your advice - the Rubbermaid cooler kept the hot water hot for the cocoa and looks like it remains in great shape for next time.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Starting a no shoes rule
I live in New York City and am about to move into a...
jadend
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Sponsored Products
Smithsonian Hand-woven Gray Anchorage Wool Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Snowflake Scene Plaque
$27.99 | zulily
24" White Pine Cordless Christmas Wreath Christmas Decor
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
Indoor Fan and Light Kit: Sea Gull Lighting Quality Max 52 in. Indoor Polished B
Home Depot
Sabrina Coat Rack
$219.99 | Dot & Bo
Palm Tree White Wine Tumblers
Classic Hostess
Planter Box: Round Resin Brunello Planter
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Tepper Jackson Winter White 5' x 8'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™