window efficiency

joe_mnOctober 31, 2010

watched a home show this weekend. they walked thru replacing windows on a 20yr old house. house has 6" insulated walls FYI. probably built to fairly recent standards. tech said new windows would lower heat bill by 40% so they would pay for themselves in 2/1-2 years. if heat bill is 1000/yr and 15 new windows is 15k installed, how does that math add up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberon476

It doesn't.

Ask this question in the windows forum and you will should get some interesting answers from some very professional and knowledgeable window folks.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 10:00AM
joe_mn

sorry. i thought it would be an energy question. i see forums for heating, windows, remodeling, and so on. figured most home energy folks would know a lot about ways to improve house energy use thru improvements like better windows.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 3:59PM
jaysgarden

When I had a local window company come out for an estimate I was ready with last winter heating gas bills($800 for November thru April)

Salesperson said new windows will save 40%. I pulled out gas bills from folder and showed I spent $800 last winter season. Providing we keep the thermostat at 68 and have a similar winter season I asked if he could guaranty this seasons bills would be no more than $480.

His short answer was they can't make that kind of guaranty but can only suggest the savings.

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 12:18PM
lzerarc

you can not, its impossible. The difference bewteen a standard low E double pane and say a triple pane filled window is just a couple R, and the u is anywhere from .05-.08 lower. It really comes down then to air infiltration and the install. %5-10 savings is even a big stretch. Also keep in mind they compare those savings to houses that keep the t stats at 90 and have all the windows open ;)

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
solar tube skylight
Does anyone out there have a solar tube sky light and/or...
ryanaidan
solar pods?? is it worth it?
first that I remember saw mentioned in "Farm Show"...
jeanwedding
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™