need info on lg 42lv5500 42' led hdtv 1080p 120hz

mare_wbpaOctober 9, 2011

I'm new to this forum, but have read a few posts , and it seems that this is the place to get the info I need. I've been thinking of buying the "LG 42LV5500 42" LED HDTV 1080p 120Hz" for the reported picture quality and for it's WiFi capability. The specs claim the box includes the adapter. Does this mean that I will be able to connect to my home WiFi without any additional equipment? When I check out the online and Youtube videos for this TV, the pics of the screen display Facebook and Hulu Plus in a box onscreen labeled "Premium". Does that mean that I will have to pay to be able to access those sites on the TV. Netflix is also in that box, I know that it is a site that I would have to pay for. TIA Mare

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

While LG is a major manufacturer, they have always had a history of releasing product with less than perfect software with an anticipated upgrade... that really never seems to come.

Yes, a WiFi adapter will allow for a network connection, but any adapter type interface usually falls short of an integral integrated designed interface.

I'd look around for a more integrated WiFi capability, but then at the same time, I actually prefer a wired connection - less interference and faster speed.

Be careful, I'm not sure about LG, but some manufacturers ability to connect to various online services, required paid accounts to third-party service providers.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 9:45PM
ellie45

Yosemitebill, that was an excellent, power packed answer for me.
Thanks.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 1:31AM
mare_wbpa

Thanks Yosemitebill, I think I'll look around some more. By wired connection do you mean that the cable modem be wired right into the TV as it is to my desktop?

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 11:38AM
yosemitebill

Yes, by a wired connection I mean a standard CAT5e cable like you have from your cable modem to your PC. However, if that is your current setup, you will need a router to "split" that single LAN output from you modem to multiple wired/wireless connections.

There are now routers even optimized for video streaming that inspect and prioritize video data packets to provide smoother video streaming without so many hiccups.

By the way, my comment about LG was more from personal experience than from my professional position and how they typically release product.

Unfortunately, what I do see is more and more manufacturers releasing products with software/firmware that must be immediately upgraded by the consumer after purchase for the product to even work as advertised.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
Best and thinnest flat screen wall mountable tv less than 20" high?
I am so out of my depth here. I would greatly appreciate...
bellsmom
Sponsored Products
Bover | Carlota Doble FL Wall Light
YLighting
Svelte LED Vanity Sconce
LBC Lighting
Gaudi Coffee Table
| Italy Design
INSPIRE Q Lorin Modern LED 3-piece Accent Table Set
Overstock.com
Slide Design | HappyLife Modular Sofa, Arm Cushion
YLiving.com