Fiberglass Insulation: How Do I Cover the Attic?

chuehOctober 29, 2010

I laid a few Johns Manville R-25 insulation in the attic. Now I have no idea how to cover the rest, because the attic is not leveled with too many hinderences.

In picture L (left corner of the house), that's where I laid the R-25 there. However, I did not go further, because I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation beyond where I stopped. I am afraid to go further (I might poke a hole in the ceiling if I step further).

In picture F (behind the furnace), there is no way I can pass thru the area where the huge furnace is. I was standing right in front the furnace where there is the wooden plank.

In picture M (middle section of house), again, I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation. It's too much up and down, so would R-25 going to work? First thing I need to solve is: how am I going to go there?

The picture below is a close up for picture M

Please advice me:

1. how I need to proceed, such as a safe way to step on the "floor" of the attic, for I don't see the wooden plank "floor" anywhere else, except the very one I walk in the attic.

2. Is R-25 good for what I do? The loose insulation is only about a few inches deep. I guess that's why my utility bill is so high. I am a non-handy type person. I cannot BLOW the LOOSE insulation without any equipment or injure myself....

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chueh

Solargary, thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful. I did not know that DIY blow insulation is that easy.... My house is about 1400 sq, and where I can stand is almost on the left edge. Do you think that the blow machine still can shoot out the insulation that far (about 35 feet away)?

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:06PM
solargary

Hi,
No, I don't think it will shoot that far -- my recollection is maybe half that far.

Gary

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 9:02PM
countryboymo

I would be worthwhile to get a bid to have it blown in. It might be cheaper than what you think to have it done. I would also find out the cost to seal first before adding any more as this will be your largest savings.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™