basement heating--help!!

laffterOctober 19, 2005

We are finishing our 1200 s.f. basement -- just a nice, cozy rec room/family room and a workshop. I will never go down there, brrrr, unless it has an independent heat source.Any suggestions for such an area that would be safe, clean, renewable, affordable, low maintenance, and can easily cranked up at short notice (as opposed to heated with the rest of the house?) Or am I asking too much?

Thanks!

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RCMJr

If you're gonna try to make it "comfortable" at all; you're gonna have to do some insulating for sure. Concrete absorbs / transmits huge quantities of heat. That's walls, and the floor too. Trying to heat it up quickly with no / poor insulation is a losing battle . . it will never be comfy without it. A cold floor can make you feel colder that you really are; and unheated / uninsulated concrete will do that for sure.

By definition; cranking it up "on short notice" will require a much bigger heat source than bringing it up to temp over a longer period of time. Concrete; insulated or not; is a HUGE heat sink. Can't change the laws of physics. . . .

Bob

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 6:11AM
More Discussions
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
solar pods?? is it worth it?
first that I remember saw mentioned in "Farm Show"...
jeanwedding
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™