no ground wire//save my electronics

psujoeOctober 27, 2007

My folks home as no ground wire ----- simple 2 plug outlets and not spaced nicely, so extension cords needed.

I need to have 7 ( tv, 3 dvr, a/v switch, clock, lamp )

tied to one double outlet.

any way to protect my stuff?

an adapter with a power strip will give me the power, but no protection from surge..........

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klaa2

Protect your stuff? How about protect your parents? Get an electrician in there pronto!

You have to be kidding when you say you have seven appliances connected to one outlet? Are you trying to start a fire?

I'll bet your folks also have aluminum wiring throughout the home. Please, do the safe thing and have a professional look at this home. I'm sure it's not to code either.

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 11:36PM
heimert

if you wade through the spam . . .

You may be able to add grounded outlets. Check with an electrician, but if the outlets are wired with BX cable (the metal houseing around the wires), you may be able to use that as a grounding wire. Then you can put a three-prong outlet in, and use it normally.

I would suggest adding outlets,though, since extension cords really shouldn't be a major solution.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 2:06PM
rayfromalaska

Check with an electrician and see if there is a ground wire tied to the metallic box behind the outlet. I have worked on some houses built back in the 60's, and realized that the electricians had tied the ground wires to the back side of the electrical boxes. My coworkers and I have pullet the ground wires through, and used grounded outlets.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™