Computer Output Through Stereo System

darwinsflinchOctober 2, 2007

I was running music from iTunes and Pandora from my Computer through a three-way switch to my stereo system on another floor. It was working fine until I had to take apart the computer system for renovations in the basement. Once we were done, I could not find the diagram on how I had it set up and have failed at every attempt so far.

I have learned so much from these forums, I thought I would throw it out to you all for some help. A diagram of my setup is here.

The input and output to the computer speakers works and is set up with 1/8" jacks. The output to the stereo is standard speaker wire with RCA plugs at the stereo end. The Speaker Selector is rated for 8 ohms. No matter how I arrange the speaker wire, I cannot get output at the amplifier.

Anyone have a thought?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm kind of bewildered here, but why do you have black and red going into red and red?

Also, you seem to be using a speaker level switch with line level inputs, which is a recipe for problems.

Why not get something like the following? Plug into back of computer, then plug computer speakers into one of the two jacks and run a cord from the other into your amp. If necessary get a second jack that turns the 1/8 miniplug into two RCA jacks (on next page from link as CAT# AD-18)

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/8 splitter

    Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 10:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A line-art diagram would be more helpful here. I suspect darwinsflinch is going from black to red because that's the color the manufacturer used. You can see the embossing on the back panel illustrates that he/she is connecting black to left and right to red consistently. I'm not sure what "braided" means, however. I'm not familiar with stereo or 2.1 setups that require a separate feed. I'm also not sure why it appears that he/she is connecting to one pair of speaker connections as an input. That certainly won't work.

I agree that the terminology is confusing. When darwinsflinch says "line", I think he/she means "cord" or "cable", not necessarily a line-level input.

darwinsflinch, more information, please?

    Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 12:47PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™