My house smells like an orange!

pbsjonesDecember 28, 2005

Here's a weird thing: Every winter, as soon as the rain starts, one of our bedrooms starts to smell like rotting oranges. It only happens when the weather is cold and wet, which immediately makes one think of mildew, but it's not a mildewy smell at all -- it has a definite citrus smell to it, very tangy.

It's elusive, too; we've tried to find the source with our noses, but no luck.

There's no mildew in the closet, or in the rest of the room; I dread pulling up the carpet to see what may be growing under there, or opening up the walls, but it looks like I might have to.

So, before I start the demolition, does this sound like ANYTHING ya'll have heard of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizql

A few years ago there was an orange scented deodorizor for pet odors. I'm guessing maybe someone went a little overboard with the stuff and soaked the floor. I'd pull up the carpet and clean the floor.

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 1:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pbsjones

Thanks, Lizql -- Ya know, I've been starting to think in that direction myself. There's this sawdust-like stuff that they use on the carpets where I work that has an overpowering smell of oranges. I wonder if the previous owners used it in that room, and every time the weather gets damp, it brings out the smell? I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Bookmark   January 6, 2006 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
I melted the drawer fronts on my cheap plastic cabinets!
Ok this is not a huge disaster as disasters go, but...
gin_gin
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™