Dealing with a broken pipe, moisture problems.

swanzDecember 10, 2006

I'm renovating my attic and one of my baseboard heaters sprung a leak. Water got

under the subfloors into the loose fill insulation, some made it to the basement. I've ripped

up some subfloor and the 1st inch of a large section of the insulation between attic and 1st

level is soaked. It's gonna be a bear to rip up all that subfloor and dump the wet insulation.

Do I have a choice?Might this moisure evaporate and go away on it's own?

If I do nothing will it stick around and create killer mold?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

If you have a dehumidifier, or can borrow one, it will do a whole lot better than what appears to be that little hot heater in removing water/moisture. Blowing a fan to keep air moving over the damp would help too then. Bigger dehumidifiers will be mucho faster. You' might be suprised how fast things may dry out.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 7:12PM
swanz

That's good news thanks. Will give it a shot.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 9:31PM
mepop

Swanz:

A few questions. How long ago did the leak happen? How much of an area are we talking? Do you have that musky odor? I'm in the restoration business and typically we allow only a 3 day grace period before we would attempt to dry in place instead of remove. There are acceptions to this so tell me more about the insulation, looks like rockwool or cellulose. Any information you can give will help with my response.

Also, you don't want to apply a heater to the insulation. You need air movement and dehumidification. The heat will just promote mold growth faster. If it's an unconditioned attic then you will need to pump dry air into this space.

Let me know if you need more info.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
Black mold? Not sure. Need help.
Hi, I recently bought an older home. I've been in it...
widaxx
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
tinyminion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™