Firewire???

stir_fryiOctober 21, 2008

I just ordered a Sony Handycam Mini DV camcorder. I am confused on how to get the video to a DVD for storage. I know (correct me if I am wrong)that I can view my recorded video from the camera to a TV.

I also know I need a firewire cable to copy my recordings to my laptop. Question is -- does a firewire cable plug into a USB port or is there a special card my PC must have?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
regus_patoff

FireWire is different than USB.

Some DeskTops / Laptops have FireWire ports.

Some Laptops can have a FireWire card added.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 5:07PM
dadoes

You also need software to operate the FireWire port, to capture the video output from the camera. Software was not included with my camera, but I found several freeware/shareware programs that work nicely. When the software is installed, it will recognize the FireWire port and attached camera. In my case, I simply turn the camera on with it connected to the computer, and the capture software operates the camera in playback mode (with controls for play, pause, forward and reverse scan) to pull the video into the computer as a file, saved in a choice of formats. The file can then be processed through video editing software and burned to a CD or DVD. FireWire can also record a video signal back TO the camera/tape.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 1:34AM
stir_fryi

Ok - although my laptop is only one year old, it does not appear that I have a firewire port -- only three USB ports.

Oh well, I guess I will taking my mini DV's to Ritz Camera.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 1:11PM
regus_patoff

Most Computer DVD players (Laptop & Desktop) can play mini DVD's.
There's a small circular section in the DVD tray that holds them.

You should be able to just transfer them to disk and/or eventually a full-sized DVD.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 8:45PM
dadoes

MiniDV is a tape format, not DVD.

If your laptop has a standard PCI expansion port, you can surely add a FireWire card to it. There may also be FireWire on PC(MCIA) card.

If not ... well, limited expandability has always been a strike against laptops.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™