Noise from Neighbors Garage/Upper Deck

tickkdoffDecember 30, 2006

My new neighbor has an eightfoot garage door, chain driven. The bottom is a 2 car garage and the top is a deck. The inside of the garage is not insulated and it has exposed beams which carry the weight for the upper deck. Every time it is opened or closed I can hear it in my house, primarily in the SE corner. I spoke to him a number of times. He had a garage repairman over to inspect and it was given a clean bill from an installation and motor (1/2 hp) standpoint. He refuses to have anything done. I have consulted an attorney and for whats it worth, throwing good money to bad is not worth the time or aggravation. Is there something I can do to cushion the noise into my home? Is there some type of contractor that can do something that is not too expensive? The noise is so aggravating it send chills up my spine. Please HELP...........

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mellody27

Move. Seriously, neighbors make noise from time to time, just like I hear my neighbors motorcycle everyday at least 2x a day. It's part of living in suburbia.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 12:46AM
western_pa_luann

Yep - neighbors make noise occasionally.

It is just a garage door opener... not drunken parties every night all night....

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 11:55AM
davidandkasie

it is his house, if the noise does not bother him, and it is not loud enough to violate local noise ordinances, then nothing you can make him do. his garage being unfinished really has not affect on the amount of noise from teh opener.

YOU could install double pane windows, and maybe beef up the insulation in the SE part of the house, but not much else.

is this a town house or 2 totally seperate buildings? if the buildings share the same framing on a common wall then the the noise will transfer back and forth.

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™