Basement sump pump question....

ajpdlaDecember 29, 2005

I am looking for information on where I might obtain a battery backup system for my sump pumps (3) currently installed in our home. I have only been able to find, so far, systems which include pumps. I do not need the pumps; but I do need a battery backup which is available as an in-line connection to my current sump pumps. Thanks for any information provided.

Aaron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zinfanatic

Not an answer to your query- sorry. But.. we are in the market for a battery operated back-up to our current sump pump when power goes out and furnace floods. What brand (s) are your pumps? Thank you Tom

Bookmark   January 2, 2006 at 10:06AM
rick02809

ok... this is a tough one, but there is a way to help you out. I would 1st get a battery powered high water alarm. If the water touches the contact, it emits a loud sound alerting you to a problem.

I do not know of anyone that makes a battery operated sump pump, BUT you can use the following if needed...

Get a Deep Cycle Marine Battery 12Volt, a float switch "Super Switch" and a bilge pump from a boating supply store and length of garden hose. Some bilge pumps can pump out 2500 GPH Gallons per hour. Connect the switch to the pump, connect the hose and throw it out the window, wire the pump to the battery. when the switch detects enough water to trip it, it turns the pump on.

Not good as a AC powered sump pump, but not a bad back up just in case. And keep the battery off of the concrete floor

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 11:46AM
lazypup

Batteries produce DC (direct current) power, whereas the three sump pumps that you currently have require an AC(Alternating current) power source. In order to operate your existing pumps from a battery source for any length of time you would need a fairly large bank of batteries and a good sized sine or square wave inverter.

There are many DC powered sump pumps on the market that will run directly from a battery source but here again, you would need to buy 3 more pumps plus a separate battery for each pump and some type of trickle charger to maintain the batteries at full power when not in use. All in all, this could get rather expensive as well, not to mention that in my experience when a storm hits Murphy's law prevails and often the battery driven pumps fail to operate because they are froze up from non use over a long period of time.

In my humble opinion you would be much better served to invest the money in a mid sized portable generator. With a generator you not only could operate the pumps you have, you could keep your fridge cold and provide a minimal lighting until your power is restored.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Need help after water leak on floor
My mom's hot water heater leaked, and it was a while...
teresatree
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
The strangest, persistent odour
Hello all. This is a serious mystery. About a month...
DanJM
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Sponsored Products
Vinyl Samples: TrafficMASTER Allure Flooring Catskill Pine Resilient Vinyl
$8.85 | Home Depot
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 15-Watt Fluorescent Plug-In Cabinet Light White
$22.00 | Home Depot
Perfection Floor Tile Leather PVC Interlocking Tile - 6 pk. - LL550BR50
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Palliser Taurus Curved 3 Seat Leather Home Theater Group - 41093-CONFIGURATIONF-
Hayneedle
Lasko 5900 Pro-ceramic Pivoting Utility Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
Overstock.com
Aspects Low profile 2-light 48 in. White Wrap around TW232R8
$29.55 | Home Depot
Palliser Regent Curved 3 Seat Leather Home Theater Group - 41094-CONFIGURATIONF-
Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Ceiling Mounted Lighting 4 ft. x 1.5 ft. LED Rectangular Ceiling
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™