Compost heat

gail_ishSeptember 23, 2004

Hi all,

So I've decided to try an experiment with compost heat. We moved to an 1860's log home with a 70's addition. It had always been wood heated, backed up with electric baseboards, so there was no thought to conservation - just throw in a couple more logs.

The wood furnace was removed as it was no longer safety compliant, turned the baseboards down to the lowest setting (10 degrees C), and froze our first winter. My husband took off the siding on the addition and added foil covered styrofoam insulation and he's been removing the window trim & insulating them - can't afford replacement windows just yet.

So that's the background. Now I wanted a source of heat, now that less will be lost. And I found the link below.

http://users.easystreet.com/ersson/greenhse.htm

So, I'm going to build the same thing, only instead of going to the showers or laundry, I'm going to the local antique dealer & pick up an old water radiator, get a recirculating water pump & a timer & see if I can heat the master bedroom. I live in the country so have ample potential for wood chips & manure, we inherited a half barn-ful of hay for building , so the cost shouldn't be that much. I'm going to start this weekend. I'm very excited.

If it works, I hope to install a radiant floor system & use the hot water generated to heat the rest of the house. I'll let you know how it all works out.

PS. While researching this, I read an interesting point about heating resources: Wood & other renewable, burnable heat sources, must be 'purposefully' burned while the composting components will be composting anyway & that heat is not being tapped. It got me thinking so I thought I'd share.

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bry84

Sounds interesting, particuarly as I've never seen anything like it. I'm curious now how your experiment is getting allong? Also, I was wondering if you were going to install a thermostat on the system, as in theory it could work in reverse and take heat from the house if the compost ever became cold.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the info!

Bookmark   November 4, 2004 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jason_MI

I actually saw a huge compost heat machine at a lumbermill. They put a tank core with pipes running in and out within one of the huge (and I mean HUGE), piles of wood debris, sawdust, etc. Once it starts heating up, it gives "some" additional heat, but certainly not enough to overcome all that's needed. This might be a good question for the "Soil, Compost, and Mulch" forum; those people live and breathe compost (which is meant in a very friendly way).

Bookmark   November 8, 2004 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™