A dummies first renewable experience

toshcooeySeptember 30, 2008

Hi everyone, I'm a complete n00b (computer-geek-speak for a beginner) at anything more electrical than wiring a lamp directly into a socket. A friend of mine is one of the most respected analysts here in Germany for the renewable energy sector and manages some funds that I am invested in. To be a clever investor and support the sector I decided to switch my electricity provider to someone who provides 100% renewable-source energy. Great! Then six months later they raised the price :( what happened, did the sun get more expensive? Irritated I decided to look into my options...

Being in Berlin Germany the solar footprint is horrible and as strong winds have disturbed many a dinner on my rooftop I decided to use the wind to my advantage instead of constantly cursing it. I asked my renewable friend about small-scale wind generators and he told me about systems costing about $10,000! One day he realized that small boats have little wind generating systems and so we looked into those and ta-da.... Air Breeze Land. Deep Patel at GoGreenSolar was nice enough to sell for $600 what costs here in Germany over $1000 !!

So now what else do I need? I need a battery, an inverter, cables, mounting.

I've got the battery, an AGM 100ah weighing a hefty 32 kilos (sorry postman) and a 1000 WATT power inverter, like the kind people have in their cars with those ridiculous sound systems. I guess I need the cables and to figure out mounting.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but how hard can it be, it's not rocket science!

So now I wait for the Air Breeze to clear customs and then write more about my progress as I go.

Tosh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

I'm fascinated to read that you're planning a wind turbine in Berlin. I thought those things are not practical in an urban setting because of the noise. Am I missing something?

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Seeking Feedback on Bright Home Solutions in NYC Area
if any of you have used Bright Home Solutions based...
dreamojean
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Sponsored Products
Vintage Bed
Italy Design
Blue stone washed linen napkins set/4
Origin Crafts
Bamboo Wooden Folding Shower Bathroom Fixture Seat Bathroom Accessory
Hudson Reed
Royce Shag Rug
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
Danari Thermostatic Brass Shower Panel W/ Hand Shower and Body Jet Bar - Chrome
Signature Hardware