Single rat Friend or foe

bigmammagDecember 12, 2007

I have a rat in my garden he moved in about 10 days ago, he is not scared of humans and will come within a meter, he looks wild although his fur does look sleeker than normal wild rats. He only comes out during the day and according to cctv he realy does live alone, a buddy reckons he is an escaped pet im dubious so hesitant to do any thing, he has nest built. His colouring is that of a wild rat but i had a rat that looked similar about 5 yrs ago. so i cant go by that what do i do!!???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

If you have kids or pets, I'd be concerned, as they really can carry disease and if rabid and bite, could be a problem. Being an escaped pet doesn't change his 'ratness'. Maybe get a 'Have-a-Heart' trap so you can rehome him far away if you want.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 5:36AM
davidandkasie

yep, either kill him or move him to the woods somewhere. rats are pack animals, so either more will come or it will go to find others. also "he" may be a "she" and before you know it you have 100 of them.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 9:54AM
chinacat_sunflower

the problem with even a bachelor rat freed from human cages...

no one bothers to neuter their pet rats. and sooner or later, rat will find another rat. and in six weeks, there will be half a dozen little rats...and in as little as three months, there will be fifty of them.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 4:27PM
mariend

Decon is good and if another animal eats dead rat, will not kill that animal. You do need to get rid of the rat as their droppings carry hanta virus.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 3:24PM
batguys

If you are going to take action i'd recommend using a live-catch trap. Rats are very intelligent when it comes to traps. I have much greater success using live-catch cage traps on rats than I do using any other type of rat trap. Try using a trap that is at least 4-5 inches square. Set it in the area that the rat has been frequenting and use either peanut butter or dry dog food for bait. A trap like the one pictured in the link below would be perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Trap

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 5:29PM
joed

Call you local health department. Around my town they like to know about all rats and will take action against hem.

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Bad Contractor
My wife and I are nearing the end of a bad experience...
KitchenDad
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™