Fruit Flies are driving me CRAZY!!!!

crissyinchaseburgNovember 20, 2006

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of fruit flies?? They are in every bathroom and in the kitchen. I am having Thanksgiving and do not want to serve them as a side dish!! I do not have any fruit or vegetable rotting anywhere, and especially not in the downstairs bathroom, where they seem to be the worst. All bath/kitchen sinks get used on a regular basis. I am at my wits end.

TIA, Crissy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Are they really those tiny fruit flies, or those slightly bigger black ones that rest on the wall?

There is a very small fly which I was told comes from our drains.

At any rate, you might try running some very hot water or a bit of bleach down your drains.

Just a thought...

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 12:00AM
jules8429

We just had this problem about two months ago. My hubby found internet advice that said to make a funnel out of a piece of paper and place it in a jar with a piece of fruit in the bottom(we used banana)then seal the rim with tape. It seems the flies can get in but aren't smart enough to get out. I was skeptical but tried it and it actually worked. Haven't had any for about a month now. We had to leave the jar out for about three weeks though to take care of any newly hatched ones before they could breed so I don't know how much this will help before tomorrow (might take care of many of the adult ones though so you have less flying around).

Good luck!

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 7:24PM
tishanyc

I just went through a very frustrating week of the same thing. I found a rotting potato hiding in the back of a cabinet (where my potatoes are usually stored). I tossed it out, washed the cabinet interior, and no more little flies! Do a search in your kitchen, they are coming from something.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™