TV set doesn't have composite input, can i add my own?

TheObskureSeptember 12, 2005


This is probably a long shot but I'll give it a go.

I recently acquired a Magnavox color television model #19PR14 C121, chassis #19P601-00AA, this particular model only has one input and it's coaxial.. is it possible to put a composite input into it? I mean, is there a particular IC where I can tap leads off of and connect them to rca input jacks so that I can plug home entertainment components in the set? Sorry if this is worded wrong and phrased screwy...I've also acquired a wicked cold and am feeling a bit out of it.

thanks guys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pooh Bear

Yep, I do this with my DVD player.
You need an RF Modulator.
I paid about $18 for mine.

It converts the RCA cables to coax output.
Easy, easy, easy.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: RF Modulator at Walmart

    Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 8:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Heh, thanks...I can't believe that I didn't think of that...I'll have to go pick one up!

    Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's the right answer as to what you need...But your TV does have a composite input. FYI, that's what the coax is.....

    Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 12:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pooh Bear

So what are the RCA phono cables/jacks called.
I know they are composite cables, but what should I call them.

I would like to see the names for the various types of cables/jacks
so I will know what to call them when I post about them.

Pooh Bear

    Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

RCA jacks are called RCA jacks.
But normally RCA and composite are used interchangably. Technically the coax cable does carry a composite signal, but a person would only point that out to be annoying - everyone would know what you mean. Here is a quick list:

RCA/composite (yellow is for video, red & white are audio)
Component Video (also uses RCA jacks/cables, but uses all three for video)

Then there are HDMI and DVI if you are really high end

    Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 2:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yeah..see, I was wondering if there were places on the circuit board of the television where i could attach RCA inputs , but I don't know enough about how the thing works to figure out where i would attach them...


    Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 7:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The bigger question is why you would bother plugging "home entertainment components" into a set that doesn't have those inputs.

The quality has to be in the ol' crapper on that thing! Save your $18 and put it towards a brand new $100 TV that has an SVideo input!

    Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 7:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well, I realise that the signal would be subpar, but it doesn't really matter much to me. I got the set for free, and saw that it didn't have RCA inputs...which wouldn't have been a problem but for that I had intended to plug my old game systems into it (via a switchbox), i'd meant for it to only have the N64,Dreamcast and SNES plugged into it. Plus, I'm naturally curious and wanted to know if it could be done (wiring my own RCA inputs directly onto the board of the tv set).

So, there you have it...

    Bookmark   September 22, 2005 at 6:46PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
Sponsored Products
Privas Metal Wall Sconces, Set/2
$140.80 | Bludot
Sure Fit Cotton Duck Dining Room Chair Cover - 37894
$19.99 | Hayneedle
CMYK Color Coasters - Set of 4
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Jofran 733-52 Urban Lodge 5 Piece Round Dining Room Set w/ Rattan Chairs
Beyond Stores
Quorum International Kirkland Oiled Bronze Outdoor Wall Lantern
$261.00 | LuxeDecor
Design House 72 in. Extension Downrod Bronze 153676
$44.97 | Home Depot
Jet Set Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Pyramid Dining Side Chair in Orange
$120.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™