Hot water help

leeshuAugust 19, 2004

I have an idea & I would love to know if you think this will work. If you know about plumbing, I would love to hear what you have to say.

I am having a problem with getting hot water to the bathroom of my home that is furthest away from the water heater. In the SUMMER we have to wait 5-7 minutes to get any hot water in that bathroom. In winter it is even longer. My idea is this:

Run a 1/2" copper pipe (insulated, of course) from the water heater to the hot water supply of the back bathroom where I am having the problem. This way, I create a "return" pipe. Attatch a 12V pump to this return and then back to the DHW supply. This will form a continuous loop of constantly hot water.

Hopefully, the water at the hot water supply in the back bathroom will be constantly hot, allowing instant hot water.

Will this work?

Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chief18

Yep, this set up is very common, you might want to look at the plumbing forum as there are many posts on this topic already, or even do a search on google for hot water circulating systems to see how others have set up their similar systems. Other options would include a second water heater closer to the far bathroom, but that is another story all together.

chief

Bookmark   August 19, 2004 at 3:17PM
Brewbeer

Constant re-circulation of the hot will create a substantial heat loss from the hot water pipe along it's length. To reduce the energy needed to keep the loop hot, you can put the recirculating pump on a timer to operate say only in the morning and even when you usually use the water, or better yet, on a switch in the bathroom that you could turn on and off when needed.

Bookmark   August 19, 2004 at 4:41PM
rai_in_md

It'd be much easier to install a point of service electric hot water heater. It would effectively run ONLY to heat the initial cold water in the pipes, then shut off as hot water reached it. If you're paying for install labor (both ways), it could be less expensive than plumbing the additional pipe that you're considering.

Bookmark   November 5, 2004 at 11:02AM
brickeyee

Of course a point of use heater will probably need a new circuit...
And they also tend to scale up.

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
Evaluating a building site for solar?
We are considering purchasing some land, contingent...
honeyb2
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Masterton Brown/Tan 5 ft. x
Home Depot
Palermo Sectional Curved LAF Side Panel-Sand - Sand
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Couristan 3077-0029 Five Seasons Gold Indoor/Outdoor Rug - 30770029111037T
$19.00 | Hayneedle
BluPure Mineralized Alkaline Water Filter
Overstock.com
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Martha Stewart Living Rugs Layered Faux
Home Depot