Recommendation for TV Wall Mount for 40'' Flat Screen?

tyjySeptember 12, 2011

Just spent a lot of money on a 40" flat screen tv. (Samsung LN40D630). I'm trying to find a good TV Mount to hang it on the wall but research is so confusing! I can't tell the difference between them! Just want it to hold up this expensive item securely and be able to extend out enough to turn 180 degrees around the corner! (yeah, I know)

1. Would you get a mount which the MAX is a 40" tv or one where 40" is right in the middle of the range??

2. Is there any that mounts on ONLY ONE STUD (which is NOT centered on the wall, unfortunately) where the tv could be moved left on the mount so that it will end up centered on the wall?

3. Is there always the flaw of a tv tilting forward even if you want it straight because of the sheer weight of the tv?

4. Any difference between a $200 one and a $28 one??

I value ALL opinions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tyjy

Seems I've been answering my own questions lately:
Bought a Sanus Systems Vision Mount VM400 for $40 bucks on Craigslist tonight. Lists for $239 + $25 for extra "butterfly extenders" so, what the hey...I'll let you know how it works.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 10:48PM
randy427

FWIW, I'd screw a hardwood plank across at least two studs so I could then center the Mount where it should be and still have a solid mounting. I also wouldn't want one that was at the limit of it's designed capability, especially if I was planning to use the full extent of its flexibility.
JMHO

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 5:41PM
tyjy

randy: good idea...and good point!

What would you say if the Sanus website specs say that this VM400 model tv mount will support a 26"-42" TV with a maximum weight of 100 lbs.? (my new tv is a 40" and 30 lbs w/out stand). Am I asking for trouble?

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 3:47PM
tyjy

OP here:
It worked good! The Sanus VisionMount VM400 full motion wall mount for $40 off Craigslist works EX-CELL-EN-TE!! Feels as solid as a rock!

Oh, it also has the option of pivoting/folding up towards the left or towards the right, which in our case, where our stud was not centered on the wall, was the perfect offset to make the tv pretty nicely centered (the actual mount on the tv is around 3" offset).

Like the 20" extention capability & 180 degree swivel feature too. Also, the Sanus website has an installation video which was more helpful than the written directions.

So yeah, it worked out well, thank goodness!

Thanks to all who responded!

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Best and thinnest flat screen wall mountable tv less than 20" high?
I am so out of my depth here. I would greatly appreciate...
bellsmom
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
Sponsored Products
Beaumont Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Oval)
Hudson Reed
Serena & Lily Origami Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Soleil Red 4 ft. 2 in. x 6
Home Depot
Jamestowne Small Black Outdoor Wall Lantern
$43.90 | Bellacor
Lazy Susan Short Al Fresco Cement Planter
Beyond Stores
Victorian Serenade Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™