Mold test - positive - but NO MOLD!

karynNovember 20, 2012

We're selling our house and the buyer's inspector came back with an above average reading for mold and is going test again - twice more now.

There is absolutely no sign of mold anywhere - we have owned this house for less than 2 years and no water issues.

So now what do we do - how do they find the source? Start ripping out walls? This is insane.

Is there anything I can do in general inside the house to just like set off an anti-mold air bomb or something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

If it's surface mold, where are they finding it? Bathrooms are a common location, esp around plumbing and high on walls.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn

Thanks -

That's just it - they are testing the "air" but there's nothing to be seen anywhere.

It's perfectly pristine and clean everywhere and never any issues with leaks etc. Nothing on any surface anywhere.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

How are the tests conducted? How are the samples and sample equipment handled? Are you certain the contamination isn't in the equipment? Conduct your own test and ensure protocols are correct.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyfia

Is your air possibly more humid so there would be an above average reading potentially due to that?

    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn

Supposedly the guys finding this are pros -

They are retesting today. If it comes back + again the sale of our house is dead for sure. :-/

We don't live in a humid climate.

I was just hoping to find out what they do in cases where it's impossible to actually see any evidence of mold. Maybe the guy who tests again today will know.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyfia

Not humid climate, but rather the inside of your house being more humid than average in your area.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn

After some specialists came to test - 30% humidity inside - and no signs in the house anywhere - they were shocked! BUT - they might have found a source - loose HVAC parts in the crawl space under the house causing condensation and then blowing up into the house.

They will have to fix that, clean up down there and then ionize the air in the house and HEPA Vac - also possibly wipe down the flat surfaces with some kind of stuff to mitigate. Hopefully this is the cause and solution in one simple pass. Just hope it's not too expensive to treat as they say insurance probably won't touch it since it's not caused by a "sudden" event.

    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 2:19PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Termites? Or what is it....... Oh no!
Okay I was adding a small entry door to my garage (have...
jeffpas
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™