Just getting this week rolling
Good morning everyone! Thanks Raeanne for starting the thread!
I'm officially down 3 pounds - more from the heat than anything else. It's been a struggle to eat but I've been drinking a ton of water and trying to eat properly - not junk. So I'm well within my goal area of weight loss. Maintenance is challenging right now to make sure I don't lose more than I should...my experience years ago, was I lost too much weight when I was depressed or unwell so it's critical I keep a 'cushion' of a few extra pounds for my size. I wasn't expecting this at all today.
Got a fair bit done yesterday sorting more junk and shredding old bills and papers with personal details. Also worked on my closet. My goal is to be finished or close to it by September. Once I'm done sorting the house I plan to start working on some quilts and Xmas projects. They are my reward targets for doing all of this. I need room to sort out my sewing stuff that's been in storage while we were out of country. I have fabric I've forgotten about.
Today it's back downtown to work on my gardens and I'm going to the gym to do some swimming - the pool is finally open again!
So I'm getting there in many aspects of my life. It's depressing when you have too much clutter around - not good at all. Starting to see progress is uplifting in many, many ways. I wish I could do more work on my own gardens but I have to pick and choose my battles around here. Our province is going to paid garbage pick-up next year so I really want to have all the trash gone by the end of this summer. We will be issued so many stickers for the trash bags and after they are gone we have to purchase more. I think they are also limiting the trash to 2 bags...We recycle as much as possible, give to charity. Stuff in our trash is really trash.
Time to get going for work.
It's a new week. Let go of any slip-ups, dust yourself off and shake your tail feathers this week. Don't give up on yourself, don't beat yourself up. You are a winner just by reaching for your goal and posting here.
Put on your shoes today - get moving! You deserve every step forward you make. You are worth it! If you have a weak moment get on this forum and post or read the threads. There's lots of inspiration and strength to draw on!
Hugs to all of you today!
Wodka, keeping positive thoughts and prayers going your way!
Peggy, a new broom truly sweeps clean and purging is liberating.
DeeMarie~Welcome Home! Did you have a good trip?
Hi everyone! I hope that this is a good week for everyone.
QOD~Name something you miss about being a kid.
QOD~We were raised pretty strict & were little adults but I'd like some "reckless abandon" if I could be a kid again. (What I mean is to not have to worry about anything!)
Good Monday morning! I'm back in Beaumont with the DGDs until tomorrow afternoon, and we've been up for a while and having a good time.
Wodka, continued prayers and comforting hugs for you and your family during this terrible time for your sister. I don't ever want to know how y'all must be feeling, but I do hurt for you.
Welcome home, Dee! I hope your cruise was wonderfully fun and refreshing for you and your dh.
Hey, Suzanne! Great seeing you here. I hope this week is less hectic for you and you can catch us up on life on the farm.
Good question, Patti! I miss having my mom there for comforting hugs when I need them. Last night, my oldest DGD surprised me by finding the baby quilt I had made for her and putting it on Aubrie's bed. They all took me into her room to see it, and I burst into tears because that was the last thing my mom and I did the last time I saw her - picking out that quilt kit. I was so touched by my kids' thoughtfulness and missed by mom in that very moment.
Things here are getting nuts here because Alexis wants to make her uncle a birthday card and Aubrie wants to "help"! That's not working for us! Wishing everyone a great Monday!
FIRST OFF, Wodka: HUGGLES to you, sis. Last Dec, we got the news that my SIL had an untreatable form of rare cancer. She has 2 tweens so she opted for surgery, followed a very hard core form of chemo, and radiation. So far, she'll lost her hair but not her drive. So here's to hoping, hoping, hoping that your story has a happy ending. (((((LOVE)))))
Another sunny day here in the islands. I am going to the mainland tomorrow for a couple of days and have a LONG list of things I need that are not available here. We figured out that I'd probably go "off-island" about once a month. That's something that I'll look forward to until I get used to living on a rock! I miss driving on freeways (if you can believe it!) and challenging lane changes!
Patti! Love the QOD and looking into other's lives through their answers!
QOD (few days back...): What do I like about being grown up?:
EASY! Driving and flying! My gosh, how I LOVE being at the wheel (or yoke!)!
QOD: What do I miss about being a kid?
EASY! Taking off on my bike any time I wanted to! Hair flying, no helmet, riding through mud puddles making a mud stream up the back of my clothes....ahhhh..YEAH!
John, for GAWD'S sake...it's been WAY too long since you checked in. Hope you are having a WILD summer!
McPeg---Your posts are truly inspiring. On the island, EVERYTHING is recycled! There's places to drop off all kinds of stuff. They have all the info printed on the town's grocery bags. Where to drop off this, where to drop off that...very cool that way.
Milkdud: I love hearing about your adventures with your "kids." So cute and I can relate!!!!
Please, along with your prayer and good thoughts to Wodka, add some thoughts for our baby "V." I think I may have found a very sincere couple who wants to possibly adopt him. We are meeting them on Thurs. He will likely become available in Dec, so I have been looking for a forever family for him. This couple has come to us through divine intervention.
Raeanne! Thanks for getting this week started. Let us know how your artistry shows are going and what is happening with you. No offers on our house yet---it's only been a week, but I'm freakin' out already.
All for now. Isn't that enough? lol!
I have less than 5 minutes to spare, as work is so hectic that I need to stretch the days to 27 hours.
We had a wonderful time; loved Maine, and Boston was so much fun. However, I was totally disappointed that I did not arrange to make it to see Besh. My friend's mom was with us, and we were not sure of her health, so we could not plan excursions ahead of time. Had I known that she wanted to hang out in Cheers (been there, done that!), I would have taken the Salem tour by myself and called Besh. grrrrrrrrrr..... Well, another day.
Well, after 10-day cruise, less than 2 pounds gained. That should come off easily this week. Then it's on to more exercise and water.
Lots going on in personal life. We have decided to sell my childhood home, and getting siblings out of there and on to separate lives is emotionally draining. More to come on that when I have my thoughts together.
I was sad to see that Maddie has not yet contacted us. I left a message on her cell phone several weeks ago. Hope and pray that she and Rog are safe.
OK, really need to go.
TAKE CARE, EAT HEALTHFULLY, AND NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind... let it be something good."
I've got lots to do around here today and this is getting my butt in gear!
Have a basket of fresh strawberries to clean (YUM) and some meal planning to do. Good day to make some soup too or let it make itself once it's on the stove!
QOD: Are you planning anything ahead today or just living the moment?
I'm planning a couple of meals (shopping in my own pantry and freezer section). Saving a little time for living in the moment for myself later on - going to the charity shop for some reading materials.
QOD: I miss the simplicity of being a kid - waking up and playing with my toys, standing on the edge of a prairie field and listening to the wind sway the grass, catching grasshoppers, Mom putting on her lipstick when going out, helping Dad trim the grass edges, playing marbles and long soaks in the tub with my whistling boat.
If you find yourself slipping up on your journey, stop and rethink your strategy for today. Just today so it's not overwhelming. Hungry a lot? Make some snacks and put them in the fridge, have a glass of water, use a smaller plate at dinner. This is your day to take charge. If things are getting to you - go for a walk!
I'm in your corner and rooting for your success. Feeling down? Here's my hand reaching out to you. Don't quit - dust yourself off and put your best foot forward. Even one good thing today is one step ahead!
Good morning, ladies! (John, come back and I'll include you, too!)
Dee, I know how hard the decision must have been to sell your childhood home. I had to clear out mine after my parents died, then again when we sold it. It broke my heart as I'd lived there since I was 5 yrs. old. Most of what made me "me" happened under that roof, and my parents essence was still so strongly there.
Now I'm worried all over again about Maddie. I didn't realize that Dee had never heard back from her since life's been hectic for me lately. I hope and pray that she and her dh are safe and sound and just too busy to post or call you back.
BJ, how wonderful that V may have connected with his forever family! If anyone could find him a good family, it would be you.
On another note to BJ, I can relate to going "off-island" as that is what I feel like when I come over to my son's now because the shopping is so plentiful around here. It's pretty scarce where I live, too. A Wal-mart and a little Kroger and tiny Palais Royal are about it. I have to drive at least 15 miles to get to any good stores around there, but it's just easier to come see my kids and shop while I'm here. That averages about once a month, too.
Dee, congrats on the minimal weight gain! That's really good. Sorry you didn't get to see Besh. That would have been so special.
A story about DGDs: I've had this old Cabbage Patch doll with red hair forever, and when Alexis (now 8-3/4 yrs. old) was little, she asked me what the doll's name was, and I just pulled "Elvira" out of the air. Then, that got me to remembering the song as sung by the Oak Ridge Boys, so I'd sing it to Alexis, and she loved it. Now, Aubrie has come along and fallen in love with this same doll, but these days, you can find Youtube clips of old shows, so we found and listened to the ORBoys singing "Elvira". She's now seriously hooked on that song, and she's also very picky about which clip she'll watch. Her parents don't share her enthusiasm, so we only play it when they're at work. This morning, I slipped up and played "Angels Watching over You", and after the first playing, she was singing the chorus perfectly while playing. This little girl dearly loves music, and especially the Oak Ridge Boys. Do you think I should write and tell them about their youngest fan? LOL
Well, ladies, it's nap time for Aubrie, so I'd better get off here and straighten up the house before heading home this afternoon. I'm going to miss seeing these little girls so often, but the idea of sleeping a little later in the mornings does appeal! I'll answer the QOD when I get home.
So nice to see some postings around here.
Milkdud~I hear you about missing grandkids when you aren't around them. I pray for the day that we can live closer.
Peg~I loved your answer to the QOD for yesterday. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.
DeeMarie~So glad you had a good time. It is always so hard to come back to work though, isn't it? Almost isn't worth going on vacation...nah, nix that! LOL Makes you wanna stay on vacation. Sorry you didn't get to hook up with Besh.
BJ~Definitely prayers for "V". I'd love to hear that he had a permanent home. I know that you'll see that he gets the best one you can possibly get for him. He certainly was blessed to be a part of your family even for just a little while.
Wodka~[[[ H U G S ]]] I know that it is nice to know we remember you after that 1st day. Please know that we care & want only the best for you & your family.
I haven't told you that the VA took 40% of Dave's disability away. They gave the reason that he hasn't had a heart attack in over a year so his heart is fine now. (It does still have blockages & he does still have to take medicine every day to keep the stents from blocking but I guess that doesn't mean anything.) I've been dealing with migraines since Saturday so I guess I'll answer the QOD & say adios for now. Hi to all I've missed!
QOD~With things the way they've been for us I've lived by the seat of our pants for many years. Not much planning ahead done here. It would be frustrating for me to try to make plans.
Thanks, everyone, for your continued prayers for my sister and our family. As far as QOD goes, Patti, I'm with you. What is that saying, "If you want to make God laugh, make plans?" I'm not sure if I've got it right, but it's something like that. I hope you have relief soon from your migraines. Can't believe that about them taking some of your husband's disability away.
I'm sitting on pins and needles. My sister has her first appointment with her new oncologist today. It was scheduled for 12:30 an it's 1 p.m. now. I talked to her for a long time last night - she was at home, the house sounded like party central with her 3 grown sons all at home, plus her friends were there, dropping off a wonderful dinner for them. She was in great spirits and is ready to fight and beat this cancer. I hope her oncologist does not give her any reasons not to fight.
She has been in so much pain, and since her back surgery two months ago, was not able to even stand up for even a small amount of time, and only got out for her doctor's appointments. Yesterday after she was discharged, my mother took her by the drug store to pick up her prescriptions, then to the grocery store, then to the department store, and she did great, actually enjoyed her shopping spree. She has not been on her feet that long in ages. So, perhaps our miracles have already started, thanks to caring people like you.
As far as me, I'm trying to watch what I eat, but am not really focused right now. This will not be another excuse, but I will do the best I can when I can.
QOD: Great question!!! Funny you should ask about planning, as that is what I do for a living! LOL! I've always planned ahead, as well as over-worried about things that never happened, so I guess some of my short-term goals should be to plan less and live for the moment.
[[[[[[[[Wodka's sister, Dave, V, and everyone who needs a great big squeezy hug today]]]]]]]]]
QOD: I try to give the illusion that I plan ahead, but I live in the moment, running aournd constantly, putting out the fires as they flare, doing everything at the last minute, always thinking that I'm goingto get caught up on everything when I have some extra time. And what do I do when I have extra time? Hang out with my kids, take them somewhere, or pick up a good mystery and get carried away, or sometimes even, I just go to the beach and sit and listen to the waves roll up on the shore. And then I start all over again the next day...! I actually think I love living in the moment, but I don't like the THOUGHT of me living in the moment and the picture it paints!
(((Wodka and family))) my thoughts and prayers remain with you.
BJ, I'm glad that "V" might be getting a good home. He's been lucky to have you.
Dee, welcome home! Congratulations on that not even worth mentioning weight gain.....I know how you feel about the childhood home. It was hard when my parents sold almost 8 years ago but you have extra stress added in, (((hugs))).
Patti, I am so sad about Dave. That makes absolutely no sense! ((Hugs)) to you guys.
QOD: Much as I want to plan and try to plan, even though I am basically a pretty organized person, I live in the moment and, like BJ, put out fires as they flare up. I guess that works best for me.
Hi to all that I didn't mention, it certainly doesn't mean I don't think about you!
Got to run -check in later - love and hugs to all.
I promise I will not hijack this thread much longer, but with all that is going perhaps it will explain my "emotional" eating obsession that I know I have.
Today my sister's appointment with her new oncologist confirmed our worst fears. She has the same lung cancer (non small cell lung cancer) that took our father less than two years ago. She will undergo extensive radiation and chemo to try to put her cancer in remission, but even then, the doctor told her it would come back. Basically, she will be buying time, if treatment is successful. Worse, if she doesn't undergo treatment, she could become paralyzed by the tumors. She has cancerous lesions in her lung, that have spread to her spine and shoulder, and also in her soft tissue.
I live out of town. I plan to be with her, but right now is the time for her and her three sons to grieve this news and to prepare. The doctors have also scheduled her and her sons an appointment with a psychologist, to help them as they make this journey.
Since talking to her this evening, I have had two glasses of wine, chips and salsa, and that's not even dinner. I'm not being flippant, but just mentioning it. Not even sure why. I just seem to give up or break down when faced with diversity. I did it after Katrina, I did it with my father's cancer and death, and I hope I don't dwell in that pattern too long while facing my sister's illness. I need to be strong. (I can't tell you how many times I have told myself that.)
Wodka we are here for you. Talk to us all you want, anytime. Do whatever you have to right now to get through this. You still have the choice to have 'something' good to eat and I totally, absolutely UNDERSTAND emotional eating. It's comforting and calming. All of this journey is new to you - the most important thing, no matter what, is keep talking to us! Even if you gain weight and have to pick up the pieces down the road - we are here for you! Don't leave us, keep posting.
((((((((((((((((Wodka and family))))))))))))))))))
You are part of our family here too and we care a great deal. I care. Having just lost my Mom I feel your pain. Deal with things on your terms but know you are important too throughout all of this.
I am so glad to read your post. It is sad news and I am sending my prayers to all of you at this difficult time.
Wodka, it's okay to feel the way you are feeling. You are grieving too.
Let us carry some of your burden if we can, any time.
God Bless you Wodka.
I was looking for your email addy but you don't have it on you page.
I would love to email continued support and give you another option to just talk, vent anytime you would like to. My email address is on my member page.
Please don't feel like you are hijacking this post - you are not. Part of a healthy lifestyle includes mental health as well - which is a key component to all of this.
Please keep posting and talking to all of us about everything that is on your mind - I've been thinking about you a lot - I truly care.
LOL to you - when you don't feel strong - let us know, talk to us.
You can email me anytime!
Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy's email
Wodka (((((HUGS)))))) I am sorry to hear this devastating news. What a terrible thing for your sister and her family to face. You have the strength and courage to face this again without eating your way through it. I know you do. As Peggy said, let us carry you through some of this burden. Come here and purge, especially when you want to eat. I will keep you and your family in my constant thoughts and prayers.
QOD: I used to try to plan my life until I realized that I am not really running it!! I have worked hard to discipline my self to live in each moment. Sometime I don't succeed at that but I have come to realize that this very moment, right now is all that really matters. Making plans and having them fall through is disappointing. Worrying about the future can drive anyone crazy. I find I am much more content living in the moments. My mantra is: Be here now.
Wodka, try to be more in the moment. Enjoy right now. I know,it's easy for me to say. Come back and share your thoughts and feelings.
Thank you, everybody. Peggy, I sent you an email. I hope you don't regret giving your address to me.
Today will most likely be a quiet day for my sister as she and her sons absorb what it happening. I imagine they are having a hard time living in the moment, when there is so much to think about and discuss. I spoke with my mom this morning, and she had a good night, so I am off to do something constructive with my life today. Worry will not solve anything. I've even started with a good breakfast (Fiber One, not chips and salsa!) and now will face the rest of the day. I have one small obstacle, in that company is arriving tomorrow from Idaho. He's a dear family friend and does not know about my sister. As soon as his visit is over on Monday, I can concentrate on helping my sister and nephews.
I hope you all have a good and healthy day today. Thanks for listening to me and offering such kindness. I hope I can repay you one day.
((wodka)) - First off, I am sorry that your sister's diagnosis wasn't good news. Just remember that part of the "sisterhood" of this forum is our willingness to lend a shoulder to cry on. Never feel like you can't speak your mind. Your sister needs you to be strong and a good healthy diet will help you find the strength you need to be there for her. Even if you maintain during this diffucult time, that is better than sliding down the slippery slope of junk food. Hope this doesn't sound like a lecture. I just know that when I eat badly, I beat myself up and that feeling isn't what you need right now.
Take each day one at a time and control this part of your life, since you cannot control what has happened to your sister. Hugs to all of you!
Had my annual Pap and exam this morning. Now I have to schedule the mammo and a bone density exam. I still need an eye exam and then my summer health regime will be complete. I always feel good when I get all those appointments over and done with.
QOD - I try to plan the little things that give me peace of mind. I have learned that you can't plan too far ahead, for nothing stays the same. So I like to have a general plan for the future, along with an open mind, allowing for the inevitable changes that will occur.
Jan~I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling. I, too, want to express that this is a great place to come to put your feelings out on the table & get support. When you eat bad foods your body begins to feel bogged down. I think that you want to give your body the foods it needs to keep your energy level up for your Sis. I'm not trying to give a lecture either but just trying to encourage you & give you a reason behind it. I think the majority of us got in our position b/c we are emotional eaters. At least I know that I have been. And, obviously there are times when you just cannot help but be stressed. Let us help in whatever way we can.
Marci~Let us know how things go with your check-ups!
NH Suzanne~How are things going for you?
McPeg~I keep meaning to email you myself. I got an email from you that I couldn't open. I wasn't even going to get up today b/c of my headaches but someone is coming by to check on the computer & Dave needed my help. :-)
Donna~How are you doing? I haven't heard from you in quite a while either. I hope that means things are good??
BJ~How could you actually stick to a plan with all of the landmines around you? LOL I just see little things changing your plans all of the time in my mind. ;-]
DeeMarie~Are you looking forward to Friday?
Milkdud~Did you get those sweet girls off? How are you? I talked to mine yesterday. She is counting to 6 already. I'm so proud of her. (Still 6 weeks away from being 2.) I dreamed that they had a DS & named him "Dougie". I don't know where that came from. LOL I forgot to tell him last night.
Well, I'm off but hi to all I've missed. I'll try to check in later. HUGS to all who need them. Patti :>)
Good morning! I'm on my way out to the fitness center to workout, then on to a pedicure.
I've been busy since returning home from watching the DGDs on Tuesday evening. Tonight, I'm going with one of the groups from my new church to see a production of "The Music Man". I last saw it live on stage at a Dallas Summer Musical production many years ago, so I'm excited.
((((((((((Everybody))))))) here gets a big Texas hug today from me. I want to address everyone personally, but I need to get moving. Just wanted to let y'all knw that I'm back home and fine. Tomorrow I'll read all the posts and catch up with your lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as you go about your lives today.
QOD: How often do you count your blessings? Do you think it's enough?
Dee, you are in a time warp - it's THURSDAY!! LOL
Hope everyone is having a great day. I got the following via email today so am sharing here. We can never learn enough about each other:
1.Were you named after anyone? No
2. Birth place? Panama City, Florida
3. What is your favorite hobby? Horseback riding and gardening
4. What color is your bedroom painted? A color called Sunset
5. What color are your kids bedrooms painted? N/A
4. What are your nicknames? Bull and Strawberry
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Usually
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Almond Joy
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? France and Italy because I love their cultures.
8. A Person you look up to most? My father-in law
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My weight
10. One word that describes you? Determined
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH (hazy, hot and humid)
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? My son Joseph
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? I wanted to be an astronaut and no, I am not doing it!!
14. Favorite Drinks? Knudsen Spritzers with fresh lime juice and, of course, wine
16. Last Movie You Watched? An Inconvenient Truth very POWERFUL
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $175
18. What Book Are You Reading? Forever Chosen by Susan Richards
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? Sweet Pea of course!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Thursday from Dee Back-to-the-Future Marie!
QOD: I counted my blessings this morning after finding out that no less than 3 of my coworkers had: brain, prostate, and breast cancer! I don't count my blessings enough. Must get up each morning and think about the good stuff in my life.
1.Were you named after anyone? Yes, Donna Reed
2. Birth place? Clifton, NJ
3. What is your favorite hobby? Cruising
4. What color is your bedroom painted? Blue Sky
4. What are your nicknames? D and DeeMarie
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Vanilla, if I eat it
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? Italy, to see where my greatgrandparents lived.
8. A Person you look up to most? DH
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My weight (especially my fat b-u-t-t!)
10. One word that describes you? bubbly
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? Someone trying to sell me filtered water (how he got my office number, I'll never know!)
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? Ice dancer....with these legs? Nope!!! LOL!
14. Favorite Drinks? flavored seltzers, water, currently black cherry rum
16. Last Movie You Watched? Knocked Up
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $220
18. What Book Are You Reading? Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich (thank you Patti & Marci)!!!
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? something dumb by MicroSoft
Enjoy your day and count those blessings!
QOD #1 - I was always told I was named after both of my grandmothers, one of them being Helen, or so we thought. When my father died in 2006, we were going through old records and found out that my grandmother's name was "Ellen," not Helen! How funny is that?
Heading back to the rock today and on the way, meeting baby "V"'s potential adoptive parents. I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited.
Dee: Good luck selling yoru childhood place. We always moving and lived in FAA-provided housing whilst I was growing up, so maybe that's why I never call anyplace home.
Back later, but I will answer these 1st!
1.Were you named after anyone? Yes, 2 of my dad's best friends. I am going change my name when my parents pass away, but I am not in a hurry for that.
2. Birth place? Illinois, moved to Alaska at 3 months old
3. What is your favorite hobby? Rock climbing and beach sitting.
4. What color is your bedroom painted? White trim and Navajo White walls
5. What color are your kids bedrooms painted? White trim and Navajo White walls (a pattern here...)
4. What are your nicknames? Hobo Jo, BJ, and Beege
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? No ties, no strings, no commitments! Slip on, slip off! All my boots ZIP!
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Lemon Custard
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? Fanning Island on the Equator-to work in the little tiny school there.
8. A Person you look up to most? Any Buddhist
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? I'm a procrastinator
10. One word that describes you? Rushed
11. What is the weather like right now? Overcast, burning off
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? My DH
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? A radio DJ, and no, I'm not doing it.
14. Favorite Drinks? Red Robin Raspberry, Lime and Sprite drink, and Diet Coke "Plus"
15. Favorite Food? Jack in The Box Monster Tacos with no sauce, 3 at a time.
16. Last Movie You Watched? Class Action
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $2oo something on a pair of boots (I wouldn't spend that kind of money on footwear now, but I did then)
18. What Book Are You Reading? Slip Knot by Linda Greenlaw
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? An at-a-distance photo of island in the middle of the San Juan Islands
I'm back with pretty toes!
Turns out that my trip to see "The Music Man" isn't until next Thursday night, so now I can relax and play.
Patti, I'm so sorry about Dave's disability. That really stinks. Can you appeal the decision?
Wodka, I'm thinking tons of good thoughts for you during this hard time for your sister and all of y'all.
BJ, I hope the visit with V's potential new family went well. That would be so hard, I'd think.
Marci, you reminded me that I need to find a dr. around here and line up my yearly physical and tests. Hope all your results are wonderful!
Dee, love your QOD! I never count my blessings often enough, but I have many to count. Thanks for reminding me!
Going back a few days, I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I'm trying to work on that a little harder these days.
Suzanne, good questions! Thanks for posting them.
1.Were you named after anyone? My first name was chosen because my mom was crazy about the actress Carolyn Jones at the time. My middle name is Ann, and I was given that name for my mom's first niece.
2. Birth place? Dallas, Texas
3. What is your favorite hobby? Counted cross-stitch, scrapbooking, reading, working out (more than one, I know!)
4. What color is your bedroom painted? El Dorado tan, the same as the rest of the house (for now)
4. What are your nicknames? I've never had a nickname.
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Always
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Chocolate mint
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? England because I've always enjoyed all things British, especially the shows and books set there
8. A Person you look up to most? my oldest Dson
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? my tendency to procrastinate
10. One word that describes you? perky
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH (hazy, hot and humid) ((I couldn't improve on what Suzanne said!))
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? the husband of one of my new friends (he was answering phones at the community center)
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? I wanted to be a teacher, and, yes, I did that for many years.
14. Favorite Drinks? Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper, green tea (iced and hot), and water
15. Favorite Food? Pepperoni pizza (but, I haven't had any in many months!)
16. Last Movie You Watched? "Akeelah and the Bee" with my oldest DGD
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $100
18. What Book Are You Reading? "Alpine Quilt" by Mary Daheim
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? My two DGDs at my son's wedding
Well, dinner will be leftovers since I hadn't planned on being here, so I guess I'll use this found time to do some picking up for the housecleaning I need to do tomorrow! Hope everyone has a restful evening!
1.Were you named after anyone? No, my mother heard the name and thought it was unique.
2. Birth place? Pennsylvania
3. What is your favorite hobby? Sewing, quilting and reading
4. What color is your bedroom painted? Some unknown shade of beige.
5. What color are your kids bedrooms painted? Sage green (DS's old room) and Courtyard Tan (DD's old room)
4. What are your nicknames? Marchia Luigi, Auntie "M", Marci. My given name is Marcia(NOT pronounced like Marsha but Mar-cee-a with the accent on the first syllable.)
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Not if I can help it.
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Mint chocolate chip
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? Italy - to meet my DH's relatives, sample the cuisine and see firsthand some of the world's greatest architecture and art.
8. A Person you look up to most? I admire my MIL for the sacrifices she made when she came to America as a war bride.
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My tendency to get tongue tied in stressful situations.
10. One word that describes you? Organized
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH (hazy, hot and humid)I couldn't improve on NHSuzanne's description either! LOL
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? My niece in SC (My MIL called while I was typing this)
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? I wanted to be a Mom and a teacher. Yes, I did both.
14. Favorite Drinks? Sparkling water with SF vanilla syrup and crushed ice or Ice Tea with fresh lemon and mint or Hill Bros. SF Vanilla cappuccino or Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot
15. Favorite Food? Spinach salad with strawberies, bacon, feta, red onion and red raspberry vinaigrette or some variation of this salad.
16. Last Movie You Watched? The Other Boleyn Girl
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $79
18. What Book Are You Reading? The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? Beach at sunset.
Milkdud~It can be & has been appealed so keep us in your prayers too, if you think of it. I'm trying to stay positive about it.
1.Were you named after anyone? Yes, St. Patrick & my aunt
2. Birth place? Borger, TX
3. What is your favorite hobby? Everyone knows it is scrapbooking & cardmaking right now ;-)
4. What color is your bedroom painted? I think it is probably a dirty white--I know it hasn't been painted in 7 years & wouldn't be surprised if it has been 40+ years
4. What are your nicknames? "Lobsta Monsta", "Gramma", "Mom", "Peppermint Patti", "Patti Cakes", "Honey Bear"
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? If I put them on I always untie them emphasis on IF
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I haven't liked it in months but it would have been something with nuts
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? I'd love to see all 50 states
8. A Person you look up to most? Dave
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? The way I can talk myself into believing something negative about myself with no help from anyone else--my insecurities
10. One word that describes you? Feisty
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH (hazy, hot and humid) You did great on this, Suzanne!!
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? I think it was my Mom
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? Yes, I always wanted to be a wife & a mommy
14. Favorite Drinks? Caffeine Free Diet Coke
15. Favorite Food? Lobster
16. Last Movie You Watched? Whatever Marci & I answered the last time this was asked.
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $70 to be on the safe side but we don't think I have spent this much on myself--if you meant for my boys then the answer changes!
18. What Book Are You Reading? Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? I'm gonna fool all of you this time b/c I've had youngest DS on here since we came back from TX in May--tee hee
Prayers to all who need them! Patti :-)
((Jan)) I am so sorry about your sister's diagnosis. Like the others said this is a sisterhood, please let us help you carry the burden. Please don't hesitate to email me, I lost my Dad last year to lung cancer that returned after an 8 year remission - it was aggressive and quickly spread to his bones, liver and brain. Treatment was harsh and aggressive...I understand where you are coming from..it boggles the mind. I'm here anytime you want to talk or vent.
Patti, I will email, I promise. I'm sorry about Dave. Work has been super crazy and at night I'm just wiped out and not much fun at all.
((Hugs))and prayers to all that need them - you are all fabulous and I don't know what I would have done without you last year when I lost my Dad..I can't thank you all enough for being there for me.
Now, for QOD:
1.Were you named after anyone? No, my parents just liked the name Donna.
2. Birth place? NJ
3. What is your favorite hobby? Sitting on the beach and people watching, reading and working in my yard.
4. What color is your bedroom painted? Very pale blue.
4. What are your nicknames? Donny, DonDon, Zobe (don't ask)
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Almost never untie them.
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Without a doubt mint chocolate chip.
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? The entire US because it's beautiful and probably England, Ireland, Scotland and Holland..my ethnic background.
8. A Person you look up to most? My Uncle Wayne.
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? Right now my appearance...in general the way I sometimes make judgments too quickly...something I've worked very hard on for a long time and have come a very long way I'm proud to say.
10. One word that describes you? Friendly
11. What is the weather like right now? Hot, hot and humid.
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? My sister
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? A nurse....no, I'm not but I work for lots of nurses!
. Favorite Drinks? Iced tea and coffee
15. Favorite Food? Is chocolate a food?? Steak, lobster and any kind of bread.
16. Last Movie You Watched? Night at the Roxbury, one of my favorites.
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? $125 I think, not sure.
18. What Book Are You Reading? Thursday at Eight by Debbie Macomber.
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? Summer flowers
First of all (((((((Wodka)))))))). I am so sorry about your news. It is such a horrible disease and I can sympathize with you as my brother has been battling it off and on for the past 15 years. It really s*cks. Please feel free to vent, cry, laugh, whatever you need to do. There are lots of arms and ears here!
BJ, I can't believe you finally moved! Your house is beautiful, good luck with the sale. I honestly can't remember if I already said that to you.
Dee, I am glad your cruise was a success. I am sorry that nobody wanted to come to Salem. It really is a nice place (dispite all the tourists!!! LOL)
Marci, I am so envious of your summer off. This is the first time in 8 years that I have had to work during the summer...and even before that, I only worked part time, basically when I wanted to. However, I am grateful to have a job!
Raeanne, been out on the boat much?? The weather here has been perfect boating weather and we are taking in as much as we can!
Patti, I loved your answer in the questions about looking up to Dave. I just thought that was so sweet. :-)
McPeg, how are you doing? Congratulations on the weight loss. You are doing so well and sounds like you are really keeping busy. Good for you!
Suzanne, how are you? You must be enjoying this weather with your animals. My sister just got two miniature ponies to pull a cart for her grandchildren. Now she thinks one of them may be pregnant. I'll keep you posted. I just can't imagine what it will look like when it is born. Teeney tiny!
Milkdud, I think one of my favorite things is a pedicure. There is nothing like it!
Hi Donna! Enjoying your summer?
I am also worried about Maddie. I wish that she would check in with someone. I have thought about her often.
Things have been a little bit of a whirlwind with me lately. DS and DIL have decided to move back to MA!!! I have been doing the happy dance for a couple of weeks now. I really can't believe it. They probably won't be back until next year some time as they have to sell their house in VA first. That is ok, I can be very patient when I have to be!!
I found out today that my manager is leaving the end of next week. I am so so sad. She is the person that hired me and we have really connected over the past 6 months. I really admire her and have loved working with her. :-(
I have made up my mind to go back to WW (AGAIN!) and do CORE. I went food shopping tonight to buy all my supplies. My feet and ankles have been killing me lately, I know some of it is from living in flip flops, but alot of it is my weight.
Speaking of which, has anyone every suffered from Plantar Facitis (sp??). If so what did you do about it. I think that is my problem in the right foot.
So here are my answers:
1.Were you named after anyone? No, mom and dad just liked the name. I have 2 brothers before me and they both were going to get my name if they were girls.
2. Birth place? MA
3. What is your favorite hobby? boating
4. What color is your bedroom painted? I don't know the official name, but it is kind of a reddish melon
5. What color are your kids bedrooms painted? Red w/blue and yellow flames painted on the wall..seriously
4. What are your nicknames? Besh, MB
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? No
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Do I have to pick just one?? I love peppermint, but I also love chocolate and a really good strawberry.
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? I'd go anyplace warm.
8. A Person you look up to most? my sister
10. One word that describes you? understanding
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH (hazy, hot and humid) Seems to be that way around the country
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? DS #2
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? A "secretary" and yes I guess I am doing it to a certain extent
14. Favorite Drinks? water, diet coke, wine and my favorite summer drink so far has been a Green Monkey...banana rum, cranberry juice and pineapple juice and I am certain it is not on CORE!
15. Favorite Food? lobsta!
16. Last Movie You Watched? Charlie Bartlett (stupid!)
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? I don't know
18. What Book Are You Reading? Such a pretty fat by Jen Lancaster
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? Picture of my family taken at my 50th birthday last year in VA
And that's all folks!
Good TGIF morning! It's already 86 d. and sunny here this morning.
Besh, I was so happy to read that you're going to do WW/Core. That's what I've been doing for the past many months, and I really like eating this way. I'm losing slowly because my sense of "satisfaction" is off-kilter, but at least I'm not gaining.
Reading everyone's answers is so much fun! I must be the only person who's never had a nickname though. :-(
This afternoon, I'm going over to the community center (the social hub of Crosby) and donate blood. Then this evening, I'm going to the first annual "Divas in Paradise" event at our country club. It's labeled as an evening of pampering for women. Should prove interesting!
Hugs and great thoughts going out to all of y'all for a wonderful, relaxing weekend!
Regarding your feet........get to a podiatrist right away. Last year I was diagnosed with plantar facitis by my regular doctor. I had a sore tingling spot on the side of my left heel. I did internet research and did all the stretching, etc that you are supposed to do for this condition which was great for my legs but did not make the tingling go away. A year later I found myself in so much pain that I could not walk barefoot and I had numbing toes and a pain in the front of my toes that was not to be believed. A friend of mine told me she thought I had Morton's Neuroma because she has one and it sounded exactly the same. So off I went to the Podiatrist to confirm. It is a MN. An MN is a pinched nerve between you 2nd and 3rd toes. The longer it goes un-addressed, the thicker the nerve gets. Now, I cannot wear flip flops which is one of main contributors to the pain and I now have custom made orthotics and basically my feet are being held prisoner by sensible shoes and no heels or pretty sandals. I can wear anything that my orthotics fit into and let me tell you that is NOTHING.
Real shame here is that he told me if it were diagnosed earlier the outcome would be much different. So my dear, please, please, please go get a diagnosis from a qualified podiatrists.
For me, surgery is an option but the outcome is unpredictable and the nerve can grow back even thicker and more painful.
I can tell you that with Plantar - you have extreme heel pain. Do not put off seeing a doctor Besh! I am posting this at the forum in case you don't get this email through the this way.
Love, NH Suzanne
Wodka - can't stop thinking about you. I will continue to send prayers and positive thoughts.
1.Were you named after anyone? My grandmother.
2. Birth place? NY
3. What is your favorite hobby? painting
4. What color is your bedroom painted? boring off white
5. What color are your kids bedrooms painted? buttercup yellow, pale blue
4. What are your nicknames? Raeanne, wan wan, waunie, wawa, pink
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? 50% of the time
6. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I am a purist - vanilla
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why? Italy for the food, wine and sites
8. A Person you look up to most? my art teacher
9. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? My insecurities when they creep up.
10. One word that describes you? loyal
11. What is the weather like right now? HHH here too
12. Last person you talked to on the phone? DD#1
13. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? Interior Decorator. Not professionally doing it.
14. Favorite Drinks? water and wine
15. Favorite Food? Shellfish
16. Last Movie You Watched? Made to Honor
17. Most money spent on 1 pair of shoes? probably around $125, much more on boots.
18. What Book Are You Reading? Not in reading mode at the moment.
19. Computer Screen Wallpaper? waterscape that came with Vista.
Milkdud - you do have a nickname - Milkdud. I can't wait to hear about the Divas in Paradise.
Patti - sorry about Dave's benefit cut. You guys can't seem to get a break where the VA is concerned.
Donna - one of my best friends is Donna and I call her Don Don.
BJ - how did the meeting with the prospective parents go? I hope they are the perfect people for little V. If all goes well, will it be a gradual move for him?
Besh - Yes, we have been out on the boat a lot and having a great time.
Marci - I hate to ask but when do you go back to work? I hope DH is totally back to normal.
McPeg - thanks for being our official cheerleader around here. I love reading your inspirational posts.
I was the featured artist at a little gallery and I actually sold stuff. It is still very awkward for me and very embarrassing - I so hate being the center of attention. I do enjoy making the money though LOL.
NH Suzanne - thanks for posting the little questionnaire - it was fun. I think of you and DH often and hope things get easier every day.
My friends are visiting from Orlando and their daughter turns 18 tomorrow, so we are having a party out on the lake.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Okay, honestly I typed a long check-in post this morning but...must have shut down my pc too fast - DUH!!!
I've had a very busy week both at home and work. Been working a lot around the house and coming in at night just long enough to clean up for bed.
Rough week though with heat and humidity. Do not so bad during the day but my evenings have been weak moments - always the week before my period. Thank heavens I'm on my feet walking all day 3 days a week otherwise I'd be up 10 pounds I'm sure!
So today I did more walking window shopping, my freezer is getting down so I've started cooking ahead. Tomorrow I will work on low fat snacks, fresh fruits, a veggie tray and thinking more about going back to ready to eat good snacks - this includes cornbread but in proper portions and frozen for lunches.
It's time for me to get tactical again with my bad habits surfacing. I've been doing this now for the last few years - all about lifestyle choices. And I mean choices. I choose to eat what I want, when I want. So reaching my goal is really up to me. Maintaining my goal and enjoying feeling good about myself is really up to me.
So that was my pep talk to myself.
QOD: I most certainly try to count my blessings but there are many more I should acknowledge.
So no fat good yogurts in lunch sizes, apples, raspberries and more cooking tomorrow for next week. And hopefully some more sorting of stuff around here.
I hope you are enjoying a great weekend! I've been MIA lately and hope to be more online in days to come.
Don't quit your choices, if you falter like I have, get back on board. This is a life choice not just a magazine article lose 12 pounds in 12 days thing. I'm in your corner with ya all the way!
Take good care of yourself - you deserve it.
Tomorrow is a new week. Are you ready? Set....
Stocked up on good things for lunch - already in lunch sizes...I've come to the conclusion that sometimes a little extra in the price for me saves me money because I do grab it and go rather than have the larger family sized items grow tentacles in the fridge! So yummy no fat yogurts, apples and sliced ham ready to go. Just have to take a new loaf of grain bread out of the freezer tonight.
So, ya ready?