Solar shingles

tklnJuly 24, 2005

Hello everyone...kind of new to the whole renewable energy thing, so I apologize if this has been covered before...I did a search, but didn't find anything that addressed this...

Was watching HGTV this afternoon, and saw what I thought to be the coolest thing - solar shingles. Instead of huge panels, this company has created shingles that tap solar power for electricity. This really intrigued me - we live in the suburbs of NYC, and electricity is out of control here. Of course, this company only works in CA. Does anyone know of any comparable products/companies that might provide this type of situation out East?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Roof Solar Shingles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mgmsrk

Several companies make solar roofing that mimic the look of traditional shingles or sheets that are laminated to metal roofing. If you search the web for you should find several on line companies, you can start with mrsolar.com and altenergystore.com they both have good sites and information on many types of renewable energy products.

They can be VERY expensive and while they have several advantages they are less efficient than the silicon glass panels. I think the last time I priced them each shingle was about $100-200. usd each.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
solar pods?? is it worth it?
first that I remember saw mentioned in "Farm Show"...
jeanwedding
PV installation ROI review
My wife and I are researching solar panel systems for...
rjexit5
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
solar tube skylight
Does anyone out there have a solar tube sky light and/or...
ryanaidan
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™