Hot roof/no insulation

belladomJuly 10, 2013

I have a 50s triplex near the beach with cathedral ceilings of tongue and groove, topped by 3/4 inch plywood and torch applied modified bitamen (asphalt) roof. That's it... No insulation, no attic. I'm told 2 options by roofers, apply Title 21 white reflective coating, or rip off the roof and start all over again adding insulation. The middle unit is especially hot as there is no cross breeze; there are skylights, double pane acrylic which don't help and don't open. Any suggestions.... Or should I just get the multi split AC unit ..?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brian_Knight

No easy answers and I would suggest hiring a home performance contractor or energy rater to help with the decisions. They may find other solutions that are more cost-effective.

Without knowing more, I would add the insulation but thats a big leap without knowing your house and situation.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

What sort of shape is the roof in?

If it is due for replacement, a proper re-roof with some ISO board and foam will do the trick.

If not, look into a mini split for the time being and be smart about the replacement when it becomes a necessity.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Evaluating a building site for solar?
We are considering purchasing some land, contingent...
honeyb2
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Best roof for solar panels
We recently bought a house. The roof is in bad condition...
ylmzm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™