Electrical Disaster

earthwormNovember 7, 2002

Intelligently conceived and enforced building codes are a necessity as too many builders, usually through ignorance, do something stupid.

About 25 years ago, when my ex-house was built in York county, PA, underground electrical service was just becoming into popularity. And it is much, much nice than those ugly overhead lines that are a problem. So the builder simply digs a trench, throws in the new wires, and fills it in as quickly as possible(scrap, beer cans, ect) - remember , time is money.

Now about 15 years later, I observe my nice wall clock running backwards!!

Yes, that and other damaging electrical "shorts and opens", then, no juice! Quite the mystery as to what really occurred to set this off. Turns out that the electrical supply company discovered that sharp rocks in the trench had slowly but surely cut through the insulation on two leads and that electricity was leaking from one wire to the other !!

In Lancaster county, the underground wires must be surrounded with sand, this is a good method of protecting the leads.

And this is just one more thing for home buyers to look out for.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

earthworm, are you sure that clock is running backwards? The time did just recently change you know. Try this just to be sure - pull the plug from your clock out of the wall, rotate 180 degrees and plug it back in. Now which way is your clock running? I am really curious about this!

Bookmark   November 7, 2002 at 2:10PM
joed

I had an electric clock once that the motor would sometime run in reverse. When you plugged it in you had watch which way it was turning. Just pull the plug and put it back in and it would go the other way.

Bookmark   November 7, 2002 at 6:50PM
earthworm

I swear to God, this strange event did happen, I was sitting at my desk and witnessed it. It was strange and somewhat scary, the high quality clock was old, but not damaged - luckly. Other things were, even with the switch off!

Bookmark   November 9, 2002 at 11:30AM
earthworm

Don, things are not functioning in a manner of which I am enured.
I pulled the clocks plug, rotated 180º, and had a hell of a time reconnecting it, never was spry, and at 62 am less agile !! So, as this was an exercise in futility, I decided to rotate the clock 180º(on the Z axis, using either the X or the Y yielded unsatisfactory results, but then it became difficult to read. Thus, I had to think some more, so, another cup of coffee, and back to plan4- reread the directions and try something effective, plug it in again- nothing happens - we have a blackout. BTW , all this happened ~12~ years ago, trusting my memory.

Bookmark   November 9, 2002 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
I melted the drawer fronts on my cheap plastic cabinets!
Ok this is not a huge disaster as disasters go, but...
gin_gin
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...
What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make...
nadastimer
Sponsored Products
Industrial Gears Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Palm Springs Lounge Chair in Electric Orange
| Dot & Bo
Electrowarmth Heated Dual-control Electric California King-size Mattress Pad
Overstock.com
SW 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Saber 3-burner Grill with Porcelain Lid
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Vig Furniture - Modern Leather and Lacquer Bed AW225-180 -...
Great Furniture Deal
Zuo Marius Set of 2 Antique Black Bar Chairs
Euro Style Lighting
Copper Shade Floor Lamp by Tom Dixon
$750.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™