Scratches behind walls

ssintenseNovember 4, 2009

This morning at about 3:30 I woke up to scratching sounds behind my wall. It sounded like whatever was behind the wall was rather large..I thought I could hear its movements. For about 2 hours until I finally moved to another room to sleep, it scratched around my room in a circular pattern. Is it likely something that is stuck, or is this some sign of an attempted nesting? When I went back into my room at about 8 in the morning, the sound was gone.

I will admit, i'm a college student and my room isn't the cleanest. It isn't a complete disaster and I don't have any food spills or anything. Is there some reason that it would be attracted to my particular room?

I'm going to clean out my room today just incase. I hope it's only something that is stuck. This is important because I know there are some critical pipe lines behind these walls.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

With the colder weather it's not uncommon to find that rodents and other wild animals start to look for a new home. These pests, just like us, are looking for water, food, and somewhere warm to live. Certainly if you leave food around, it can attract them but sometimes they come inside just to find a warm place to sleep.

I'd suggest cleaning your room and then calling whomever is responsible for building maintenance.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 5:00PM
joed

Could be a small mouse or a rat or squirrel.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 8:19AM
davidandkasie

even a small rodent can sound rather large.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 11:53AM
sameboat

Or a bat. We had bats. They scratch and also squeak - the aqueak sometimes sounds like a kissing noise or air escaping a heat pipe. They finally rested the the base of the wall in our bedroom where we were able to pop off the baseboard and get them out.

But be careful they can be dangerous if you are scratched. Rabies. I would consult whomever owns the building to take care of the problem.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 8:02AM
socks

I assume you don't own the home, so if you are renting, you must tell the landlord or property manager.

Is there a crawl space under your house/apartment? Then some animal(s) have gotten in. They need to be trapped or exterminated and then the crawl space entrance/exit should be securely sealed along with any other (even tiny) places where animals can enter.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
laxrox
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™