Rubber Cement Glue on Carpet

Nancy_in_indianaNovember 29, 2003

Dropped the bottle and spilled a line about a foot long and quarter inch wide on the carpet before I could get bottle picked up. Tried to sop up but now have a dried line in that spot. The carpet is berber type - smooth surface rather than shag/plush fibers. Since rubber cement doesn't dry as hard as other types of glue, can anything be done now? Thought about putting a rag over the area and running a hot iron over it but afraid I will just gunk up my iron. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
browntoestoo

Heat won't help, it'll make a gooey mess. If it is still sitting on top of the fibers rather than soaked into the pile you might try putting some duct tape. Roll it out in short sections, press down and pull up. The dried glue will stick to the duct tape adhesive. If it has soaked in and dried you will need to get a can of Bestine rubber cement thinner. Art stores carry this. Silver can with red and black lettering. Work a small area at a time as it evaporates quickly. Dribble some on and using a clean rag work it in a bit and wick it back up. This solvent is toxic, so open the window.

Eileen

Bookmark   December 2, 2003 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy_in_indiana

Thanks so much! I didn't know there was a special solvent for rubber cement. Will need to use that since it has soaked into the fiber. Will head for the art store tomorrow. You are a life saver.

Bookmark   December 3, 2003 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Craftman garage door 1/2 hp
when it start to not working the way it suppost to...
Ignacio7557
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
scooper25
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™