Does the number of woofers matter in a speaker?

tobr24uSeptember 13, 2006

As I continue my quest for the right speakers I see speakers with any number of woofers from one to several in the same price range. How many does one need, or is one good one enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hey_starfish

All you really need is one woofer and one tweeter to have a great sounding speaker. Multiple drivers can create more problems than they solve. Close your eyes and let your ears decide.

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 10:33PM
tobr24u

starfish, thanks for the reply. But I wonder why so many expensive speakers have such an array of woofers if they interfere with each other?

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 9:59AM
jdbillp

There are many theories to how to make a good sounding and good looking speaker .

Some manufacturers use one large driver for bass. 12" to 15" diameter. One drawback to this is it makes for a rather wide speaker cabinet.

Other manufacturers will use multiple smaller drivers for bass. 6" to 10" diameter. This gives them the woofer surface area desired for good bass response but allows a narrower cabinent face.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 10:45PM
tobr24u

This does get interesting. I have B&W speakers at present with one 8 inch woofer per speaker. Is that good enough?

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 9:51AM
jdbillp

If YOU like the sound of them, then yes, that is good enough.

BTW I have B&W speakers, too. DM603 Series 3. They have dual 6.5" woofers.

Here is a link that might be useful: DM603S3

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 10:58PM
naparover

most electronic stuff - especially "consumer" brands, its all marketing play -- whos got this "biggest", "more than" blah blah. IGNORE all that...size matters not one bit (as Yoda whould say) -- there are very high end loudspeaker systems using nothing but very small drivers, and very cheap crap using dual 15" woofers. i.e. its NOT about size...its about engineering. YOUR ears will determine what sounds best for you in your room..nothing else. Example, I have a Martin Logan tiny 8" subwoofer that will rock the foundation of my house. Listen with your ears and ignore absolutely everything else spec or size wise. Also if you can avoid at all costs any big box, big brand store, and hunt out smaller independant audio shops...youll get access to audio driven products and knowledgable salespeople and service. Many will also let you audition products in your own home. Happy listening!

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Capra Orange 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
Hyland Loveseat - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Green 18-Inch Christmas Santa Believe Throw Pillow
$24.99 | Bellacor
Guitar Duet Bookends
$55.99 | Dot & Bo
Rae Vanity Kit 600 Lumens 3000K 90CRI
Lightology