House cooling problems - MD

mocha_javaJuly 18, 2006

Moved into older home in 2003. Immediately started having heating/cooling issues all over house. Replaced HVAC last year. Insulated ducts this year and repaired lots of holes (outside and in), put attic fan over garage (have 3 in house). They run 18 hours per day, sometimes more in the summer. No insulation in the attic over garage, sofits look like bird holes, no ridge vents (have 2-3 yrs left on roof), 4 different roofs...we don't know where to start, who to listen to; know we have to insulate, but with what! Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bydesignprez

It sounds like you need some guidance on a strategy and plan to upgrade the energy efficiency of your house. I live in Canada and know the programs here, but your energy or power supplier should have some information. You want an energy evaluation establishing the baseline of how the house behaves now together with a plan to install energy efficiency equipment and insulation etc. on a planned schedule based on payback. Very high on the list should be things like reducing air leakage and attic insulation as these have paybacks of about 1- 2 years.

It's well worth the money to have a plan (if there is a cost) rather than following the "guidance" of every snake oil salesman selling you the latest gizmo. If there's a poor payback, then it's not worth doing (yet).

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Geo in old brick home
Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100...
thesilverback
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™