Can chargeable things be left plugged in

tobr24uSeptember 3, 2012

all of the time? And should the transformers be left in outlets when device is not charging. I have dustbusters and other items and wondered if they would be hurt by constant charging, of if their transformers are harmed be being plugged in when not being used to charge...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

When plugged in those transformers use electricity. Generally it's not a lot of electricity but enough of them over time does at up.

    Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 7:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

But the question isn't the electricity used, but rather the constant charging harming the machine/battery.

    Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've heard divided opinions. Some say for maximum life it's best to charge a battery, disconnect it, and run it down and repeat the cycle. Others say keep it plugged in, it doesn't mater. Take your pick. Fortunately, most of the things with rechargeable batteries are either relatively inexpensive items, or are of a type that replacement batteries can be bought.

mike is right, all the plugged in items in a house draw power and it does add up. This is called the "phantom load". If you're going away for more than a few days, it's a good practice to unplug all those things (including TVs) that draw power in a standby mode.

PS - I think power supplies/wall warts that power electronic devices are theoretically rectifiers, not transformers. No matter, the "transformer" term is widely understood and used.

    Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They are both rectifiers and transformers. The transformer converts 120VAC down to a lower AC voltage, and the rectifier converts it to DC for battery charging.

Older NiCd batteries DO develop memory, and lifetime is extended by not leaving them on the charger all the time, but charge, unplug, use, recharge. Newer NiMH batteries do not have much of a memory problem, so it doesn't matter so much.

One thing to keep in mind is the both batteries and chargers can fail and cause fires. Rare, but it happens. It's better to leave things unplugged.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 1:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"When plugged in those transformers use electricity. Generally it's not a lot of electricity but enough of them over time does at up."

Not enough to matter.

An unloaded transformer has a VERY small power dissipation.

Even the with a rectifier circuit on the output of the transformer, the capacitors charge up and the leakage is VERY tiny.

This whole thing is caused by some fool that measured the current without looking at the phase angle to the voltage.

Just like the 'power factor corrector' charlatans.

    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
Sponsored Products
Zippo 9 Table Clock by David Scherer
$104.95 | Bellacor
Globe Electric Recessed Lighting 4 in. Recessed Dark Bronze Light Fixture 90013
$18.99 | Home Depot
Scarabeo by Nameeks Next Bidet - NEXT ART 8302
$643.91 | Hayneedle
Del Ray 4-Light 31 1/2" Wide Flemish Bronze Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Cool Area 11-foot Shade Sail
Modern Style Rectangular Fabric Table Lamp with Chrome Finish
Galaxy Flushmount by Illuminating Experiences
$169.80 | Lumens
Sasha Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Habanero Glass
$342.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™