Mini-Split Ductless Heat Pump

Jaydee6947July 29, 2011

Our one level house sits on a concrete pad and we want to get rid of our furnace because it doesn't heat the back rooms very well as the ducts run beneath the concrete pad in the soil. We are looking at installing the Samsung mini-split ductless heat pump but cannot find any good customer reviews on it. We would love some input on how good the system in general works and would it provide enough heating for us in Vancouver, BC.

We have had opposing views from the HVAC guys - one says NOT to use it because he had lots of complains about it not heating well, and the other says that heating will not be a problem. We don't know who to believe ... any input would be much appreciated ito brands to go with and whether heating really works. We are not too worried about A/C because Vancouver summers are never too hot for too long. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

This seems like a horrible way to try to heat a house. Any ductless system is going to blow hot air into 1 room. Unless the house is just 1 big open space, I don't see how that would have any chance of providing a comfortable environment.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 2:32PM
chuckfh

Mini Splits have been around for years++. What U hear about them are how incompetent installers install them. Try www.mitsubishicomfort.com/ the best ..they have some very good systems. Make sure you talk to a mitsubishi rep. not a hvac contractor first. asked the rep to refer U to one of there best contractors...thats the best way to "get it right"
These are pricey products. But excellent. They have systems that have one outdoor sections and upto 8 indoor coils. As far as heating with hot air into one room this is not a solution. As far as concrete floors...thats what is horrible! I just finished redoing a floor. Replaced the entire house with Platon, and hardwood.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 12:08PM
ionized_gw

If anyone else sees this and wants info on minisplits, I encourage them to post in the heating and AC forum. This is just the wrong place for this thread.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on Solar Leases
Folks, I would like to hear from those who currently...
NRG Home Solar
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Planning for a new green home
I am in the planning stages of building a new home...
b_valancy
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Sponsored Products
Glomar Pendant Lights 1-Light Brushed Nickel Incandescent Ceiling Mini Pendant
$43.99 | Home Depot
White Mini Mohair Plush Bear
$7.99 | zulily
Contemporary Patio Umbrella
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Capital Lighting Studio Modern Contempo Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Westinghouse Lighting Shades 5-3/8 in. Handblown Giraffe Spot Shade with 2-1/4
$14.97 | Home Depot