installing new flat screen pleas help!!!

marilyn234September 30, 2010

Okay, we are installing a flat screen on the wall and contractor installed tube in the wall for wires. We have direct tv, dvd and dvr and new surround sound. My son said all we need is a good HDMI cable and the plug through the wall so this is what we did. He said that no other wires have to come from the tv through the wall as he ordered us a 5.1 I think he said receiver with our new surround sound. Now my Dad is saying he is wrong that the wires have to come from the tv through the wall for the dvr,dvd etc or we will lose quality. I bought a monster cable so we wouldnt lose quality. Please if anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it. TV will be ready to hang over weekend and I am so confused. Who is right??? Hooking with short hdmi cables from the 5.1 to the dvr and dvd or wires directly from tv through the wall..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
netlos

unfortunately the only way to get true (DTS-HD Master Audio),found on blu-ray players, and most newer electronics you have to bring the HDMI to the receiver first then to the T.V,as it only passes this signal on the HDMI cable.As for older stuff like a dvd player that is just your standard (DTS) or 5.1,you have the option of running for example:the fiber optic cable to the receiver,and your video cables to the TV.It is your choice really but like i said with most newer electronics to enjoy the full (DTS HD) sound you will have to pass it thru the receiver.If you choose to hook up all of your electronics straight to the TV with HDMI cables you will not get the (5.1),just stereo sound.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 6:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thebluepill

HDMI cables are the only way to go. You need to lay out how you want your system to work, there are really 2 things to consider;

Do you want all of your audio to go through the Stereo System, or through the TV?

One Way to lay it out is like this:

DVD Player ---HDMI---> Receiver
Direct TV ---HDMI---> Receiver
MISC ---HDMI---> Receiver

Receiver ---HDMI---> TV

That gets you Everything in HD, and your Receiver is the "splitter" for the HDMI, which has a 1:1 relationship with other devices.

Another way is this

DVD Player ---HDMI---> TV
Direc TV ---HDMI---> TV
MISC ---HDMI---> TV
DVD Player ---Digital Coax or Fiber Optic ---> Receiver
Direc TV ---Digital Coax or Fiber Optic ---> Receiver
MISC ---Digital Coax or Fiber Optic ---> Receiver

With this setup, the TV has to switch between the sources, and the Stereo can also use the source for audio when desired...

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™