diy pv solar installation?

housekeepingJune 27, 2008

I did a quick check but didn't see this covered: I've been wondering about whether it is possible to do a PV installation all by ourselves.

FWIW, this would be a ground mounted system. Not because I hate ladders, which I don't, but because our 19th c buildings aren't hankering for having new stuff parked on their roofs and because I've got lots of land.

My DH is a lic. electrician so that's not an issue. We have plenty of heavy equipment for trenching and setting up mounts, etc.

We would want to have it set up as a net-metered system in NY.

So, is it possible, and legal? Is it less expensive than using installers? Would DIY completely leave us out of the various tax rebate schemes? It just seems as though the aggregated components aren't as expensive as the estimates I've seen for installed systems. For us, it's always a pain to have contractors here, not a boon.

TIA for any ideas you have.

Molly~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nevea2be

Anything can be diy if you have the skills to do it. As far as rebates go that would depend on the places offering the rebates. Of course all equipment would have to qualify (like UL listed) for any such rebate.

It's all legal if you pull the correct permits and the person installing or tying the whole system together is a lic. electrician.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 8:28AM
greif

possible yes... dangerous oh yes. Your husband is used to working with AC... this is DC which can be alot more deadly if not done correctly. Totaly different breakers/switches etc are used with Dc and you can not use Ac parts as Dc will weld these toegther.
IF he wanted to do this have him take classes on solar dc from the MREA.com or Solar Energy International http://www.solarenergy.org/index.html

good luck

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 10:31PM
kzaker

I dont think DIY solar is covered in the NYSERDA rebates (if that is the rebates you were reffering to). but please post for us to see what you find out! i would be interested in knowing - I live in NY too.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 12:32AM
hdavis

I agree. As long as you have the correct permits and the contractors are licensed you should be fine. I would guess that there are rebates. I am also geting into solar panels and solar energy and I have done a lot of research on solar panels / solar energy and there seems to be quite a bit of good information on the climate / energy industry. There is also a lot of information on do it yourself installation.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Sponsored Products
Brick Paver Niko Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
ELK Lighting Trier 14072/5 Chandelier - Aged Bronze - 23W in. - 14072/5
$418.00 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Iron Floor Lamp: 59.75 in. Rustic Floor Lamp with Fabric Shade HEG76
Home Depot
IC920RLEDG3 5 Inch LED 900 Lumen IC Remodel Housing
Lightology
Black Forest Satin Pewter Twelve-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Sample-Base Molding White Carrera Liner Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Aging Eye Glass Shade Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lightology
Carre Bronze Bath 3-Light
PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™