Digital medical thermometers

davestexasAugust 17, 2012

This forum might be the right one for my question/problem.

I've had a number of digital thermometers and everyone of them bled the battery dry. As far as I know the consumer can not 'turn Off' the memory. I seldom use the thermometer, but when I need it, it's got to be there. I can't really see the mercury kind all that well these days. Are there any digitals that don't have a memory or at least one that can be disabled? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

Dave,

My suggestion to you is to treat this like other things that people want to be able to rely on. If you want it to work when you really need it, check it periodically when you don't need it. I'm not sure how long these things last for you, but I suggest you mark your calendar to check it every 3 or 6 months.

Digital thermometers are cheap (

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 10:15PM
dadoes

The old digital specimen I have doesn't have a memory feature, the battery lasts for *years*.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 9:03AM
yosemitebill

I've had a couple digital medical thermometers, and a digital cooking thermometer all for probably over 12 years and have never had a problem or changed a battery in them. Not sure what kind of memory function one of these would have but I don't doubt you that yours does - but the memory should usually be non-volatile or not enough of a current requirement to cause a problem.

Along the lines of similar products that use small button cell batteries, however, if you have changed the battery and the original was something like an SR44 - Do Not use an LR44 or AG13 alkaline replacement for the original SR44 silver oxide battery - they will not last.

Also, make sure the thermometers are stored in a cool area to prolong battery life.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 10:13PM
davestexas

Problem solved. Thank you for the responses. I appreciate them.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™