Solar Attic Fan

harlanJune 12, 2011

I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who has installed solar attic fans. Need to cool very hot garage. Are you satisfied with them? Are they worth the money, etc. Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Yes they work. If you have no intention of changing the roof for > 10 years, get one. It probably will be more than enough for a standard sized garage (~ 400 sq ft).

However, I prefer having a passive venting solution. I just removed my solar attic fan after re-roofing with metal shakes. Changing from an asphalt based roofing system to a metal roof made a significant diff (almost 10 degrees centigrade).

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 4:29PM
cs6000

I've read a lot of complaints that the solar fans break after one or two years, but have never had one myself. I have a couple of fans at the top of the attic in the louvered vents that have a built in thermostat. I have them set to come on at 100 degrees, I think.
These suck air in thru the soffits, the blow it out up top. Seem to work OK, this is my second year with them.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 11:41AM
David

The solar fan I took off my roof is still working after 5+ years. It is now surplus.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:51PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

They work okay and might have application value if you are trying to cool a garage but ideal ventilation is passive for the main home.

Attic fans, even solar units, can create negative pressure and exacerbate the air leakage issue for the conditioned space.

Ideal ventilation is passive and move directly under the roof deck.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
Geo in old brick home
Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100...
thesilverback
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™