New construction, need help

cathyckJune 4, 2008

We are bulding a house on a few acres in Rockland County NY about 15-20 miles from Manhattan.We house is in the rough electric and plumbing stage. It is a 2 story about 3500 sf not counting a 2300 sf basement, with 9' ceilings on all floors. I am confused with all of the research I have done. I don't know what would be the best things we could do for energy efficiency. We have a well, and put in city water.We also put in radiant heat under all floors including the garage and basement. We also are installing a contraflow heater in the middle of the house with a white oven above it. Would geothermal be good or would solar be better? Solar electric photovolactic? What about solar hot water? I'm confused. We are probably going to install a pool also. Not sure if we will now or in a few years. Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garymunson-2008

The size of your house indicates your can probably afford solar voltaic. I'd suggest you go with the largest system of that within your budget. The runaway cost of fuel is shortly going to spill over into the electric power industry. I can't see how electricity will do anything but double in cost in the near future.....

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Best roof for solar panels
We recently bought a house. The roof is in bad condition...
ylmzm
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™