lostinitOctober 24, 2010

Boracare or call a pest control?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What are they in?

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 4:22PM
carmen_grower_2007

Are they pantry pests? If so, put a little mesh bag (I use panty hose) of dry bay leaves in cabinets and tape to the top of flour containers, etc. Since I have done this, I haven't seen a single beetle.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 5:33PM
lostinit

No. They are just pock marks on a floor joist in the crawlspace, which is a tell-tale sigh of powder post bettles. Haven't encountered any in the home. I've done research and it turns out these beetles lay their eggs in the wood where the larvae can sustain themselves on the wood for several years before boring out of the wood.

The beetles will target lumber yards and sometimes lay eggs in fresh milled wood. The eggs are deposited, the material is then delivered to the contractor and thus the job site where it is installed and things may look fine during construction and shortly thereafter but in a year or two an inspection may discover their presence thru the damaged wood. Boracare is recommended to spray on new joists, studs for remodeling as it prevents infestations.

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 9:47AM
GLM1960

I have powder post beetles in my barn. They leave behind a powdery sawdust material. They burrow in untreated wood and lay their eggs. My barn is very close to the neighbor's barn and I have moisture problems in that one wall because of it. You can try fumigating, but they'll come back.If its just a few pieces of wood, get rid of that wood, sweep up all the powdery residue. Get completely dry, chemically treated wood.Vanishing the wood is good. Prevents crevices for the bugs to burrow in.

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Broken Mercury Thermometer
Last night my DD had a 100.2 temp so this am I went...
stir_fryi
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™