Adjusting sound on TVs or DVDs

JonesyAugust 27, 2007

I bought the last 3 Star Wars DVDs and have problems hearing the words over the background noise. On the first 3 in the series, the sound is fine. I also have a problem with other movie sound like Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

I have a 43 inch Phillips Plasma TV, model #42PF7321. I can find the sound adjustment, but no matter what I do, it doesn't help. Someone told me to lower the base, but the base is not marked, just sliders that go up or down. I was told I can adjust the sound on the DVDs, but I don't have any luck there either. Any suggestions, I sure love those Star Wars DVDs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Do you have the DVD player connected thru a stereo system or just connected to your TV?

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 7:26AM
steve_o

Some DVD players have a setting which emphasizes (center-channel) dialog -- a friend of mine had an inexpensive Panasonic with that feature. And, as jdbillp points out, it will make a big difference whether you're listening through TV speakers alone or a stereo/home-theater-in-a-box.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 7:57AM
Jonesy

It's just connected to the TV.

Questions:

What is Center-channel dialog, better or worse for voices?
Which is better for voice sound, through TV or home theater?

Thank you.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 9:34AM
steve_o

Most TVs have only a couple of small speakers which are expected to cover every sound you would hear from a movie or concert. Of course, they don't do a very good job of this -- not compared to either stereo systems or home-theater systems which have five, six, or even seven speakers all optimized to the sounds they make.

Home theater systems include a speaker -- the center channel -- specifically for the sounds you would hear directly in front of you in real life. In movies and television shows, those sounds typically include dialog. Since you have a speaker specifically for reproducing the dialog in a movie, voices will sound much better on a center-channel speaker than they will on a TV.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 7:07PM
jdbillp

If you are using the TV's speakers for your sound, make sure you turn off any of the TV's surround sound options.

Also, if your dvd player has any surround sound options turn those off, too.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 9:41PM
Jonesy

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I watched these DVDs on another TV and DVD player and I don't remember having this problem.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™