Insulation recommendations

vanJJune 23, 2005

Hello:
We live in a 50 plus year old house in Southern California on a raised wood foundation which only has insulation in the attic and none in the walls. The fiberglass insulation is very old and we were considering replacing with. Even with our mild weather we notice the house gets colder and warmer than it should. We have replaced all the windows with double paned and window treatments, celing fans keep us more comforatble. However with the removal of the wall to wall carpeting to the exisitng hardwood floors it has made the house colder. A neighbor just had cellulose blown in the walls of their home and said it's the best thing they've done to their house. We know nothing about this product or how to proceed with this home improvement.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Van

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RCMJr

For doing your floors; I'd suggest rigid foam; cut to width and "wedged" between floor joists. Good R-value if you use the polyisocyanurate types; far superior to "styrofoam" . . .

I'm also a big fan of cellulose; simply better insulation. It is also vermin and fire retardant and very low embodied energy ( energy used in it's manufacture ) compared to anything else. Environmentally friendly too . . . and darn good noise suppression . . . that's what it was originally developed for . .

Bob

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 6:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Have a look here:

Here is a link that might be useful: CIMA

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™