Solar Hot Water

joekayakJune 14, 2007

I live in the North East. I have been considering installing a solar hot water system. We have circulating hot water heated by an oil furnace to heat our home. The furnace also has a coil that heats hot water for domestic use ie washing and bathing. The hot water is essentially a free by product of our home heating during the cold months. However during the summer months the entire furnace boiler runs just to provide us with a small amount of hot water.

Usually in this climate a year round solar hot water system would be installed. These systems become a little complex and expensive. I am thinking of installing a active open loop system that I would operate only during the warm months and then drain for the cold months. I am thinking that I could get solar hot water May-September.

Since my winter hot water is almost free there is no point in installing an expensive complicated system to provide hot water during those months. I would like to have some opinions as to whether this summer only system is a reasonable idea.

Joekayak

More Discussions
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
Critique of House plan
I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for...
jenlef82
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Sponsored Products
Indoor/Outdoor Striped Jamison Pet Bed Dog Bed
$64.99 | FRONTGATE
Brushed Sink Strainer
$5.99 | zulily
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5081 Widespread Bathroom Faucet - S5081BR
$720.92 | Hayneedle
Forma Lupe Dish Rack
$21.99 | zulily
Henri Studio Helix Relic Lava Cast Stone Fountain
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Table Tennis Paddle Set
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Jane Seymour Green Tulip 15H in. Bubble Bowl Silk Flower Arrangement - JSB222-GR
$200.00 | Hayneedle
Poeme Red and Yellow Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$506.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™