Geothermal A/C

bernieaJune 11, 2009

Can swimming pool water be used in a residential geothermal A/C unit. Being a Florida resident running such a geothermal A/C for most of the year would cool the house while heating the swimming pool. The dedicated pool heater would be used only when the geothermal A/C system failed to adequately heat the pool water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

Some people on this forum have recomendeded a system that channels the warm exhaust from AC to the water heater. In certain climates like in Florida, this works fine because it does two things: it provides free or nearly free hot water because it uses exhaust from the AC that would otherwise be dumped into the open air and wasted; it increases the efficiency of the AC. So it's a win/win.

But using such a system to heat a pool may not work so well. You really need to crunch some numbers -- maybe somebody on this forum can guide you. The thing is -- how much heat does your AC throw off versus the quantity and temperature of the swimming pool water and how many degrees you want to raise that temperature.

BTW, these are not geothermal systems, which involve underground tubing where the temperature is constant year-round. That's a different thing all together. When properly designed and installed they can greatly reduce the cost of heating, even in frigid climates like Canada, and they can reduce the cost of AC as well. But they are expensive and, if not done right, they won't save you very much money.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
PV installation ROI review
My wife and I are researching solar panel systems for...
rjexit5
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™