What are these blue bars on my HDTV ?

johns08August 21, 2008

Recently, my 32 inch Sharp HDTV has two vertical blue bars (about 1 1/2 wide)that appear on the screen. They are present even when the TV is disconnected from cable or antenna, and also when DVD or games are used. The TV is one month out of warranty. I am hoping that it is some kind of interference and not the set, but that may wishful thinking. Any ideas what may be the cause? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Not interference.

IIRC, my former service tech friend said this kind of problem is a defective drive IC.

You'll need to take it to a service station. But, call Sharp customer service and see if they will cover the repair.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 10:35AM
johns08

Thanks for the info. I called Sharp customer service and they requested some digital photos showing the problem, which I did. They replied that they received them and will get back to me after technicians examine the pictures. All of my old CRT tvs lasted at least 10 years. Now this high tech $1300 set may require an expensive repair after only 13 months. Bad luck or reliabilty issue?

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 11:52AM
jdbillp

Probably bad luck. Sharp enjoys a decent reliability rating.

Did they hint at covering the repair?

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 4:04PM
johns08

I assume that Sharp customer service will want to identify the problem first before any discussion about repair costs. I will try very hard to get some help because it seems that the driver IC is quite expensive to replace.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™