Update to Ceiling and Home Owners ins....

jaw2000October 7, 2002

First,

After a second meeting with the adjuster and the contractor. The ceiling (at a minimum is covered). Seems the adjuster saw that the ceiling had been nailed and glued and saw discoloration on the beams (joists/tresses) and insulation and some drops (again at a minimum) on the sheetrock.

The walls are wallpapererd.

Here is my first question (or series of them):

As the ceiling must be removed to the walls, and the taping/mudding will contact the wallpaper, what is covered? In other words should insurance cover the ceiling and insulation removal and replacement, and since the job cannot be completed without messing with wallpaper, a new wallpaper job too? And, if so will that also include removal of the old wallpaper?

I am not trying to gouge the insurance company (though since they are dropping us, I am tempted).

Moving on, as some here know the company is dropping us --- too many claims, but now this claim is being called of a previous hail damamge claim, hence it is weather related, and not a condition (in VA) where we can be dropped.

What all this meams is: we have a total of 4 claims, 3 are now part of the original hail damage, and 1 that is water damage from an exploding refrigerator. The cost of this last one was $500.

Are we now in a position where we could actually be re-instated? Or, more likely will we be dropped over a $500 claim?

And, finally, if the latter is true (that's how I'd bet), might we find it easier to get new insurance, seeing how 3 claims are weather related (eg act of God), vice anything that we did that was stupid or negligant.

Hope this makes some sense and I value your inputs, thanks in advance for them.

JAW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen_sl

Its not the $500 claim that is getting you....its the 4 claims and the total amount of all of them...
Sorry for your problems, I am sure you are not entitled to new wallpaper...that will be out of your pocket.
Its not hard nor expensive to do yourself to save $$.
Karen L

Bookmark   October 8, 2002 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
The strangest, persistent odour
Hello all. This is a serious mystery. About a month...
DanJM
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Sponsored Products
Chevron Burlap Pillow - Cover Only
Ballard Designs
Safavieh Lyndhurst Persian Treasure Grey/ Beige Rug (2'3 x 9')
Overstock.com
1-1/2 Inch Diameter by 3 Inch Long Stainless Steel Standoff Hardware
eModern Decor
Selenite Fireplace Sculpture 30"W
$5,700.00 | Horchow
Jewel Tone Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Murray Feiss Maarid Rock Crystal Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Sea Gull Lighting Wall Mounted Harbor Point Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor White
$78.12 | Home Depot
White Wine Bucket