wood burning house

hoosierdocMay 31, 2008

We are working on a house in a rather rural area. I've always loved the idea of a central wood-burning stove for heating a house. We are considering having a cabin on the property that we'd just heat with burning wood. There is a large forest that has an endless supply of renewable energy. I also wouldn't want to run power to the cabin, but would like to have it powered. Is there any way to convert burning wood to electricity? Some sort of large thermocouple, or would it have to be a boiler that powers a steam generator like a nuke plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
che1sea

I think you are better off finding a different source of electricity like solar. You can skip the electrical step and use wood for heating your water as well as your house though. You could even get a wood cook stove to do all of that.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doogan123

IF you were in europe.. you could pick up a reg wood burning stove with a back boiler built into the firebox..along with a circulating pump and aqua pipe stat.. very simple and it has the capacity to heat a number of radiators etc.. alas.. they are not available in the states.... no idea why....

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Geo in old brick home
Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100...
thesilverback
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Planning for a new green home
I am in the planning stages of building a new home...
b_valancy
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™