Thinking about adding speakers to stereo

jimracAugust 15, 2007

Hi,

We are remodeling our basement, the room presently has no sheet rock, down to the studs on the walls and ceilings. Now in my next room, I have a small stereo,, with 2 speakers attached to it. We are thinking of running some wire to the new room and adding some speakers to the ceilings. Make sense?

Now, what type of wire should we use, what are some decent speakers to use in the ceilings, and where should the speakers be placed on the ceiling. The room is about 23' wide, by 16 feet from front to back. Has 7.5' ceilings.

I have added recessed lighting to the ceiling, not sure if that makes much difference.

very much appreciate your thought and opinions.

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Without seeing the stereo or the room, here goes.

You MAY be able to hookup a pair of additional speakers. Most stereo receivers have provisions for 2 pair. Most manufacturers of inexpensive stereos do not recommend more than 1 pair of speakers be hooked up.

Where to put the speakers will depend on furniture placement, room design, and aesthetics. Many people try to line up their ceiling speakers with the lighting so as to help them blend in better.

Generally, 16 gauge speaker wire will suffice. Make sure to run a separate wire from the stereo to each speaker. DO NOT run the wires in series.

Good speaker manufacturers include Speakercraft, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Paradigm, Polk Audio.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
Sponsored Products
Seletti | The Box Amplifier
YLiving.com
Henry Hedgehog Garden Statue - 310
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Wireless X Rocker Pro Series Video Rocker with Vibration - 5131901
$164.98 | Hayneedle
Gizaun Art French Oak Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - FO2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Gizaun Art Garden Graffiti Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - GG2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle