Silk vs aluminum tweeter? I have a pair of

tobr24uAugust 6, 2008

Paradigm speakers that I had one of my sisters purchase at the same time as I purchased a pair of B&Ws. Same price, same size and twenty years ago! The Paridigms have the silk tweeter with poly woofers. My B&Ws have the aluminum tweeters and paper woofers. My sister got rid of these speakers as she never used them and would prefer a mini-stereo, which I have found most woman to prefer. I don't even think her speakers were broken in. I have read that the silk gives a warmer high end especially in regard to vocals. I switch them back and forth and don't know if I am hearing difference. I am going to give one pair to my son, which pair would you give away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oskiebabu

They are both excellent speaker companies. Much depends on the systems you both have and the power driving them and your room acoustics. A well-made aluminum tweeter that is both thin and rigid can work every bit as good as silk and even better. It is all personal preference. If you can't hear a difference between them, then I would say it is a toss-up which you give away. If you don't have a subwoofer, I would probably keep the one that goes deeper before distorting. But that is my personal preference. To each his own.

Greg

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 11:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tobr24u

Thanks for the input. My sister's Paradigms were used so little that I don't think they are even broken in, so I may go with those...

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™